• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

NCL drops Roatan after murder of crew member

Rate this topic

Jason

Norwegian Cruise Line has canceled calls this week in Roatan, Honduras in the wake of the murder of one of its crew members on the island.

The unnamed staffer from the Norwegian Pearl was killed Sunday while the 2,394-passenger ship was visiting for the day. Police reports indicate the killing happened during an attempted robbery, and an alleged suspect is in custody.

"In an abundance of caution for our guests and crew, we have canceled calls to Roatan this week for Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Jewel," Norwegian says in a statement posted on its Facebook page.

"Norwegian Cruise Line is shocked and saddened by the tragic death," the statement says. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the crew member."

Roatan has become a significant port call for cruise lines operating in the Western Caribbean. In addition to Norwegian, cruise vessels operated by Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Regent Seven Seas are scheduled to visit the island in coming days. None of the other lines have canceled calls following Sunday's incident.

By USA Today

For more cruise news & articles go to http://www.cruisecrazies.com/index.html

Re-posted on CruiseCrazies.com - Cruise News, Articles, Forums, Packing List, Ship Tracker, and more

http://www.cruisecrazies.com

Click here to view the article

How tragic for this individual and their family. NCL made a smart move in canceling this port, and with other purported safety issues in Honduras, I wouldn't be surprised if this port begins to drop off upcoming itineraries with other lines, as well.

This is horrible news all around. First the tragedy of a murder at a sea port. Second the tragedy of a murder at a sea port. Sadly, I fear that Roatan will be dropped from itineraries (similar to Mazatlan and the issues faced there.)

It is a shame, as I have always enjoyed Roatan, and they really need the money the cruise passengers spend. I don't see it as any more dangerous than big US cities. Glad to see they are starting to stop again in Mazatlan. Always enjoyed it too

very sad as many of the ships crew are far away from home and are their families main source of income.

We are suppoese to port there from our cruise leaving Tampa 4/27. I will check CCL website to see if they have dropped this port.

is thre any more information? this is real sketchy.

There are many reports from various sources with the same information. I don't find it sketchy at all. Clearly, a crew member was shot to death in an attempted robbery while on shore, and a suspect is in custody.