• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What's everyone's favorite port?

Rate this topic

DeniseN

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 years later...

Cape Town has a long tradition as a port city. The Port of Cape Town, the city's main port, is located in Table Bay directly to the north of the central business district. The port is a hub for ships in the southern Atlantic: it is located along one of the busiest shipping corridors in the world. It is also a busy container port, second in South Africa only to Durban. In 2004, it handled 3,161 ships and 9.2 million tonnes of cargo. Simon's Town Harbour on the False Bay coast of the Cape Peninsula is the main base of the South African Navy.

The Port of Cape Town (specifically the V&A Waterfront) made headlines worldwide during 2009 when plans to berth the iconic liner QE2 were announced. It is expected that QE2 will be located in the port for use as a floating hotel in time for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

I like them ALL. I like Eastern and Southern Caribbean better than Western. I just did the Mexcian Riveria and loved it. I would like to do the Sea of Cortez.

It is difficult to pick out a favorite since I like each island for a different reason.

This is my first time ever on this site , so I am not sure what this will turn out like but here goes..... I to like the Eastern Caribbean the best ,we are in 5 days going to the Southern Caribbean for 8 days on Carnival Miracle, Balcony Cabin, so I can't add the Southern as a like yet except we are going to our FAVORITE Port St Maarten, we love our shopping and beach day there! We absolutly HATE the Western Caribbean, Belize was just awful and Costa Mayo was ok, Cozumel, well Cozumel is Cozumel. I am sorry if I hurt anyones feelings but this is were you post your likes and dislikes right?? I love to Cruise and can't wait to book another! Happy sailing to all, I know we will enjoy our time relaxing, eating ,drinking,dancing, and just plain being together all 5 of us! Oh did I mention this will be our 6th Cruise ( but who is counting) when will we go platinum???????The 5 of us going on this trip will be My ex husband ,his nice wife,(OUR) Son, my hubby and of course me, we all did this last year (my ex's first cruise)and we turned around to book again for this year. Looking forward to this trip!!!

• 9 months later...

Gosh really a tuff one. I can not pick one. love all the southern Caribbean islands. The Orient was so great. I have to say the ports of call are what you make them and we have fun and enjoy them all.

Joe & Jackie

Ours has changed over the years to St. Maarten/St. Martin. After our just completed cruise we may have to rethink this. Now they have vendors trolling the beaches and bars (Dutch side) trying to sell their wares. It reminded us of the Mexican Riviera.:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

• 11 months later...

I would go back to Lisbon in a New York minute. Fascinating city, loads of history, beautiful cityscapes, a great blend of old and new, friendly people and great food. Right now my keys reside on a Portugal key fob. Returning there is on my bucket list.

I guess this is more of a Port of Embarkation/Debarkation rather than a "call"....but I love Vancouver! I think it is such a neat city with such diversity, of things to do, as well as of the people. You can do some high end shopping and fancy dining and you can also do the nature things with Stanley Park and grouse Mountain...and you can do some kitschy things such as Gas Town. We've been there 3 times and I can't wait to get back...

Andi, we took a Royal Caribbean 5-day out of Seattle. Stops were Vancouver and Victoria. BEST cruise ever. Loved every minute of that itinerary and would repeat it -- if only the cruise ships would bring it back. I agree. There is truly something magical about Vancouver and all of the diverse things to do there.