• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

still trouble in Jamaica?

Rate this topic

Jason

I remember several years ago reading about all of the major problems the island of Jamaica was having, with rebels and guerrillas - It was an extremely dangerous place to be. I also remember several warnings being issued to the cruise passengers who visited the island.

I haven't heard anything else about Jamaica and these problems lately. Wondering if this is been the case, or if the rebel problems were solved. Can anyone provide any information about this?

I remember several years ago reading about all of the major problems the island of Jamaica was having, with rebels and guerrillas - It was an extremely dangerous place to be. I also remember several warnings being issued to the cruise passengers who visited the island.

I haven't heard anything else about Jamaica and these problems lately. Wondering if this is been the case, or if the rebel problems were solved. Can anyone provide any information about this?

Not only is Jamaica one of my favorite stops, but I have a lot of friends, here in South Florida, who originally came from Jamaica.

Yes, like any island in the Caribbean, there are "times of trouble." However, most of the problems, as in any area, are in the 'inner city' areas of Kingston. These are areas that tourists should avoid, no matter what!

The 'tourist' areas of Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, Port Antonio, etc; are as safe as anywhere else.

Remember, even our large cities, here in the U.S., have areas which need to be avoided.

The key is to know where you are, where you're headed and be aware of your surroundings. You don't take unnecessary chances at home, why take them on vacation?

Not only is Jamaica one of my favorite stops, but I have a lot of friends, here in South Florida, who originally came from Jamaica.

Yes, like any island in the Caribbean, there are "times of trouble." However, most of the problems, as in any area, are in the 'inner city' areas of Kingston. These are areas that tourists should avoid, no matter what!

The 'tourist' areas of Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, Port Antonio, etc; are as safe as anywhere else.

Remember, even our large cities, here in the U.S., have areas which need to be avoided.

The key is to know where you are, where you're headed and be aware of your surroundings. You don't take unnecessary chances at home, why take them on vacation?