• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What meal would you add to the menu?

Rate this topic

GottaCruz

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like pretty much everything if it's good quality and cooked appropriately! I enjoy food done in a more gourmet style, since we don't get out too much at home, but I can go to the buffet and enjoy the food there, also.

I like pretty much everything if it's good quality and cooked appropriately! I enjoy food done in a more gourmet style, since we don't get out too much at home, but I can go to the buffet and enjoy the food there, also.

Like Jeff, I'd like to see the return of the serving tray for side dishes. I'm not big on starches, but I love vegetables, and the busboys/assistant waiters catch onto that quickly. (We have green beans tonight, madam, I know you will enjoy these...)

I've also noticed that some lines are cutting down on the cold soups. My husband enjoys these and has remarked on several occasions that he missed them.

Like Jeff, I'd like to see the return of the serving tray for side dishes. I'm not big on starches, but I love vegetables, and the busboys/assistant waiters catch onto that quickly. (We have green beans tonight, madam, I know you will enjoy these...)

I've also noticed that some lines are cutting down on the cold soups. My husband enjoys these and has remarked on several occasions that he missed them.

Lisa-

Special, just for you.....alt text

VICHYSSOISE

Ingredients:

2 leeks, chopped

1 onion, chopped

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

3/4 cup thinly sliced potatoes

2 1/3 cups chicken stock

salt to taste

ground black pepper to taste

1 1/8 cups heavy whipping cream

Directions

1 Gently sweat the chopped leeks and the chopped onion in butter or margarine until soft, about 8 minutes. Do NOT let them brown.

2 Add potatoes and stock to the saucepan. Salt and pepper to taste; do not overdo them! Bring to the boil, and simmer very gently for 30 minutes.

3 Liquidise until very smooth. Cool. Gently turn in a swirl of heavy cream.

GAZPACHO

2 tomatoes, chopped

1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced

1 red onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1 minced garlic clove

1 Tbsp. olive oil

1 Tbsp. lemon juice

3 cups vegetable cocktail juice

croutons, if desired

cold cooked shrimp, if desired

In a large glass bowl, combine all ingredients except croutons and shrimp and mix gently. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to blend flavors. Serve chilled, topped with croutons or cold cooked shrimp. Serves 5

COLD BEET BORSCHT

3 large beets

juice from 1-1/2 lemons

salt

pinch of sour salt (optional)

5 cups water

4 egg yolks

pinch of sugar

white pepper to taste

Wash and peel the beets and dice them. Place in saucepan with juice of 1/2 lemon, a pinch each of salt and sour salt (if using), and 5 cups water. Simmer for 40 minutes until beets are tender. Add the juice of another 1/2 lemon.

Beat the egg yolks with a fork until blended. Slowly ladle some of the hot soup into the egg yolks, beating constantly. When about half the soup has been added to the yolks, pour the egg mixture back into the pot with the rest of the soup. When all the egg mixture is beaten into the soup, pour the soup back and forth between the pot and a large bowl about 10 or 15 times until the mixture is smooth, creamy, and airy. Add a pinch of sugar if necessary, and salt and white pepper as needed. Chill thoroughly.

CHILLED PUMPKIN SOUP

4 14-oz. cans chicken broth

2 11-oz. cans sweet corn, drained

1 onion, chopped

1 16-oz. can pumpkin

1 cup half and half

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine broth, corn, and onion in large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until onion is tender. Stir in pumpkin and blend well. cover and simmer 5-10 minutes. Then add half and half and salt and pepper. Heat well, but do not boil. Serve soup with cilantro pesto.

COLD FRUIT SOUP

1/2 litre milk

1/2 litre cream

Fruits, fruit pulp

200 grams ice cream

For this soup we need half milk, half cream, whole fruits (what you like) and some fruit pulp (mixed whole fruits, without the juice). All together we put in a mixer and add some ice cream or fruit ice cream from the same taste, almost a quarter of the milk/cream mix.

For Melon or Grape soup you can also add on a few dry white wine, just what you like.

CREAM OF MANGO SOUP

Ingrediants:

2 mango - peeled, seeded and cubed

1/4 cup white sugar

1 lemon, zested and juiced

1 1/2 cups half-and-half

Directions:

1 Place the mango, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and half-and-half into a blender or food processor. Cover, and process until smooth and creamy. Serve chilled.

Lisa-

Special, just for you.....alt text

VICHYSSOISE

Ingredients:

2 leeks, chopped

1 onion, chopped

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

3/4 cup thinly sliced potatoes

2 1/3 cups chicken stock

salt to taste

ground black pepper to taste

1 1/8 cups heavy whipping cream

Directions

1 Gently sweat the chopped leeks and the chopped onion in butter or margarine until soft, about 8 minutes. Do NOT let them brown.

2 Add potatoes and stock to the saucepan. Salt and pepper to taste; do not overdo them! Bring to the boil, and simmer very gently for 30 minutes.

3 Liquidise until very smooth. Cool. Gently turn in a swirl of heavy cream.

GAZPACHO

2 tomatoes, chopped

1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced

1 red onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1 minced garlic clove

1 Tbsp. olive oil

1 Tbsp. lemon juice

3 cups vegetable cocktail juice

croutons, if desired

cold cooked shrimp, if desired

In a large glass bowl, combine all ingredients except croutons and shrimp and mix gently. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to blend flavors. Serve chilled, topped with croutons or cold cooked shrimp. Serves 5

COLD BEET BORSCHT

3 large beets

juice from 1-1/2 lemons

salt

pinch of sour salt (optional)

5 cups water

4 egg yolks

pinch of sugar

white pepper to taste

Wash and peel the beets and dice them. Place in saucepan with juice of 1/2 lemon, a pinch each of salt and sour salt (if using), and 5 cups water. Simmer for 40 minutes until beets are tender. Add the juice of another 1/2 lemon.

Beat the egg yolks with a fork until blended. Slowly ladle some of the hot soup into the egg yolks, beating constantly. When about half the soup has been added to the yolks, pour the egg mixture back into the pot with the rest of the soup. When all the egg mixture is beaten into the soup, pour the soup back and forth between the pot and a large bowl about 10 or 15 times until the mixture is smooth, creamy, and airy. Add a pinch of sugar if necessary, and salt and white pepper as needed. Chill thoroughly.

CHILLED PUMPKIN SOUP

4 14-oz. cans chicken broth

2 11-oz. cans sweet corn, drained

1 onion, chopped

1 16-oz. can pumpkin

1 cup half and half

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine broth, corn, and onion in large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until onion is tender. Stir in pumpkin and blend well. cover and simmer 5-10 minutes. Then add half and half and salt and pepper. Heat well, but do not boil. Serve soup with cilantro pesto.

COLD FRUIT SOUP

1/2 litre milk

1/2 litre cream

Fruits, fruit pulp

200 grams ice cream

For this soup we need half milk, half cream, whole fruits (what you like) and some fruit pulp (mixed whole fruits, without the juice). All together we put in a mixer and add some ice cream or fruit ice cream from the same taste, almost a quarter of the milk/cream mix.

For Melon or Grape soup you can also add on a few dry white wine, just what you like.

CREAM OF MANGO SOUP

Ingrediants:

2 mango - peeled, seeded and cubed

1/4 cup white sugar

1 lemon, zested and juiced

1 1/2 cups half-and-half

Directions:

1 Place the mango, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and half-and-half into a blender or food processor. Cover, and process until smooth and creamy. Serve chilled.