• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruise Ship Rescues Rafters....

Rate this topic

DaCruzNut

On our home page, jason has posted a copy of an article, from yesterday's Miami Herald, regarding six Cuban rafters, rescued at sea.

Reading an article of this type, like many "emotional" issues, cannot convey the true drama, excitement and feelings, involved.

Many years ago, I was returning from Cozumel, aboard the Britanis, when a buzz ran through the ship......"We're turning around!" I went up on deck and noted that the wake of the ship had a definate curve, and we were turning hard-port.

As I stood on deck, and looked out to sea, I saw nothing. The curved wake began to become even more apparent, and finally formed a half-circle. I looked at the spot that would be the center of the circle, once it was completed, and saw a small, black, dot.

Then, word shot through the ship; "Refugees! Rafters! They think it's from Cuba...."

There were so many passengers at the rail, that the ship took on a noticable list to the port side. Hundreds of people, and hardly a sound.

It took over an hour to complete the circle, and get close to the rafters, all the time the little dot getting closer. I stood there, totally amazed that the raft had been spotted, at all.

As the raft came alongside, I was shocked at the crude little invention that these three people, two men and a woman, had hoped would take them 96 miles, across the open sea, to freedom, and hope. The risk they had taken, for the possibility of reaching our shores, was incomprehensible to me. A few old tire tubes, tied together, with some old, half-rotting boards; some blankets; and a few boxes, containing, I guess, some simple provisions and a few precious momentos from home.

We all stood at the rail, frozen in silence. I tried to take videos, but the camera wouldn't stop shaking. Then, I realized it was me, and not the camera. Tears welled up im hundreds of eyes, as the crew helped the three adventurers aboard.

Even as I write this, many years after it occurred, I get goosebumps...

I, sometimes, wonder what ever became of these three brave people. Even more, I wonder what would have become of them had the ship not spotted the tiny dot in the middle of nowhere.

For a real heart-tugging inside look, check out:

http://benito.arte.uh.edu/Arte_Publico_Pre...erence___a.html

and

http://journalism.berkeley.edu/projects/cu...y-balseros.html

On our home page, jason has posted a copy of an article, from yesterday's Miami Herald, regarding six Cuban rafters, rescued at sea.

Reading an article of this type, like many "emotional" issues, cannot convey the true drama, excitement and feelings, involved.

Many years ago, I was returning from Cozumel, aboard the Britanis, when a buzz ran through the ship......"We're turning around!" I went up on deck and noted that the wake of the ship had a definate curve, and we were turning hard-port.

As I stood on deck, and looked out to sea, I saw nothing. The curved wake began to become even more apparent, and finally formed a half-circle. I looked at the spot that would be the center of the circle, once it was completed, and saw a small, black, dot.

Then, word shot through the ship; "Refugees! Rafters! They think it's from Cuba...."

There were so many passengers at the rail, that the ship took on a noticable list to the port side. Hundreds of people, and hardly a sound.

It took over an hour to complete the circle, and get close to the rafters, all the time the little dot getting closer. I stood there, totally amazed that the raft had been spotted, at all.

As the raft came alongside, I was shocked at the crude little invention that these three people, two men and a woman, had hoped would take them 96 miles, across the open sea, to freedom, and hope. The risk they had taken, for the possibility of reaching our shores, was incomprehensible to me. A few old tire tubes, tied together, with some old, half-rotting boards; some blankets; and a few boxes, containing, I guess, some simple provisions and a few precious momentos from home.

We all stood at the rail, frozen in silence. I tried to take videos, but the camera wouldn't stop shaking. Then, I realized it was me, and not the camera. Tears welled up im hundreds of eyes, as the crew helped the three adventurers aboard.

I, sometimes, wonder what ever became of these three brave people. Even more, I wonder what would have become of them had the ship not spotted the tiny dot in the middle of nowhere.

and

and

Jeff, I got those goosebumps just reading your account. That is a truly highly emotional , unforgettable experience . It is just mind-boggling to think how very desperate they must have been to undertake such a voyage in that makeshift raft. :cry: Thank God that they were spotted and rescued and to feel part of that rescue mission must be a wonderful feeling.

Jeff, I got those goosebumps just reading your account. That is a truly highly emotional , unforgettable experience . It is just mind-boggling to think how very desperate they must have been to undertake such a voyage in that makeshift raft. :cry: Thank God that they were spotted and rescued and to feel part of that rescue mission must be a wonderful feeling.