• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sea Sickness

Rate this topic

Iggy

I guess I'm licky that I don't suffer from seasickness too often.

However, I was recently on the Regal Empress (formerly the Catibe I), which is a small, older, ship, and the seas were pretty rough. About an hour after leaving Miami, I began to feel queasy, and knew that we'd be crossing the Gulf Stream, soon, and the seas would get even rougher.

Since this was only the second time I ever felt seasick, and it was my 57th cruise, I wasn't prepared....

alt text

I went to the onboard gift shop and bought a pair of the elastic bands with the little buttons, and put them on. I had heard a lot of people say they really work, 'though, for the life of me, I can't figure out how; something about acupuncture. I figured I'd try them before resorting to drugs, which can make you sleepy and can't be used with alcohol.

Well, sure enough, within 20-30 minutes I felt fine, and was looking forward to dinner.

I won't travel wiothout them again!

Iggy,

I've used the patch behind the ear that I got with a Dr. 's prescription. I've also used the non-drowsy dramamine. Both have worked great from me and I've never gotten seasick. Now I don't take anything unless the water is really rough and then I just take the non-drowsy version of dramamine and I'm fine.

Someone just recently told me that the wrist bands work great too- oops, I think that was Jeff. :cool:

Just take ginger caps. Get them at the health food store. They don't make you sleepy, you can drink alcohol if you like without getting all goofy from taking meds and booze and ginger is good for you. I've suffered from horrid motion sickness since childhood and ginger has always worked for me. I had to work out the dosage, too much ginger gives me heartburn. For me, it kicks in about a half hour after I take it. Start with one cap and see how you feel.

Jeff, when Regal Empress was Olympia, she was given the nickname Rollympia :cheesy: as she didn't handle the crossings well.

I use a combination of the seabands and ginger.

If you are going to take a medication, try it first about a week before you leave in case there are any side effects.

Excellent advice Lisa! My poor son took the non-drowsy meds and he slept like a baby the entire day. Guess everyone is different.

Neither my DH or myself have ever had a seasick moment so we're fortunate. My daughter only once and that was because we had a forward inside cabin. Boy that ship sure rocked pretty well.

My son swears by ginger ale and ginger snap cookies. We never sail with him without them.

I used to have very bad motion illness. I used to get sick in elevators. My wife, on the other hand, can get motion sick by walking down a street and turning her head. We both take Bonine for sea sickness and have never gotten sick. On our first cruise, we hit a hurricane on the way to Bermuda. The Captain said the waves were 30-35 feet. I took one Bonone and never felt one twinge of nausea. My wife took 2 Bonine and slept most of the afternoon, but did not get sick. We'll swear to Bonine. :wink:

Howard

I've never been seasick, even kinda like it when it gets rough. Roe got seasick once on the Caribe I, Jeff. Took her to see the doc, got a shot, took a nap and was OK for the rest of the cruise. :cool: