• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
DaCruzNut

As Ready As I Can be.....

Rate this topic

It was a, misleadingly, beautiful day, here in south Florida! The sun was shining vibrantly in a bright blue sky, punctuated by some white puffy clouds. It was hot and, as is usual for this time of year, a little steamy.

I had to run a few “eleventh-hour†errands and pick up a few things. I put the top down, turned on the radio and was on my way, driving through a, deceptively, normal Fort Lauderdale. Publix seemed a little more crowded than usual, but, after all, it is Friday. I stopped at the gas station and filled the tank. Strangely, they were all sold out of the regular grade, and I had to fill up with the mid-grade.

Yes, just another normal Friday in Tamarac.

Yet, something was oddly wrong….

The bank, now open seven days a week, was closed; a bunch of the shelves in Publix were bare; people seemed a little more friendly, and a bit stressed; traffic was a little bit heavier, for mid-day; but, most telling of all, all the stores and houses were boarded and shuttered, and porches and lawns were totally bereft of chairs, lounges, hanging baskets, potted plants or any of the things you usually see as you drive through the neighborhood. A silent, frightening, reminder of what tomorrow will, most probably, bring.

The realization suddenly hits! It’s not a question of IF Hurricane Frances will strike, but exactly WHERE and WHEN. She will make landfall somewhere along the east coast of Florida, anywhere from Miami to Jacksonville. However, due to the size, and radius of both the hurricane force, and the tropical storm force, winds, the entire east coast will be pummeled. This “monster†is the size of Texas, and, as you well know, we here in Florida are quite a bit smaller. Unfortunately, this is a very slow moving storm, moving at 9 mph at the last reading. That means that when it hits, it will sit there and dump rain for hours, and hours, and hours. Local forecasters are saying that we could get torrential rains for 12 to 24 hours! A small ray of good news, in the morass of doom; her wind speeds dropped from 145 mph to 115 mph as she passed over the southern Bahamas. This drop, from a category 4 to a Category 3, may only be temporary, but brings a little relief.

Updated reports now place landfall sometime tomorrow (Saturday) late morning or early afternoon.

Well, having gone through the worst of Andrew, I was prepared and have had all my hurricane supplies since the first week in April. I have enough batteries to light up the Statue of Liberty! The shutters are up and secured and all my outside “stuff†is tucked safely indoors. I made a stop at the liquor store and picked up some “last-minute hurricane supplies…..†I’ve done all I could, and am as ready as I can be.

I’m not at all calm and, in fact, am a mess! This has all brought back the dismay of the memories of Andrew, and I’m a bit shaky. Either Marley has “picked this up,†or a change in the air pressure is letting him know something is happening, but he’s skittish, also.

Now, it’s in God’s hands. I am praying for all of my fellow Floridians along the east coast, and myself, and that’s all I can do. Unfortunately, my temple has cancelled tonight’s services, so I’ll have to do my praying at home

Oh Jeff I sure understand every word you said. As of now the storm has dropped in intensity again down to a 2 but still no eyewall which is what's scaring me as well as the fact that it's almost stopped. Not good news in our book.

I too have done all I can and my preps also included a stop at the store for libations......LOL one way to get through it. The waiting is agonizing.....no stores, no movies, nothing on TV.........except storm coverage that could drive you nuts within a few hours. Just waiting to see what this will do and the worst is we have no control over any of it.

I didn't experience Andrew as you did but Charley sure put a scare into us. 10 feet to the right and the tree would have done in the bathroom and my son's room. Now we wait to see if the tree that was removed and sitting in our street will come back to us this time as torpedos.......we can only pray that the rain might weigh down the debris.

May g-d bless all Floridians tonight as well as all those in the Bahamas that are suffering as well.

teacp-

What we Floridians have learned, there is no "safe place...."

The margin of error, and the large size of the storms, doesn't leave too amny places to go!

Of course, people in the coastal areas, where the strom surge hits, have all evacuated. However, many people who have tried to leave have just been caught up in massive traffic jams on I-75 and I-95. Hotels up tio the North Carolina border are filled.

Once we have our shutters up, and we're hurricane-proofed, the safest place to be is home....

My mom, who lives on Hallandale Beach, had to evacuate yesterday at 2 PM. so she's here with us. My neighborhood looks like a ghost town- lots of homes boarded up and all the stores, restaurants, etc. , are shuttered, boarded or just closed. This is a waiting game due to the fact that the hurricane is now traveling at 4-5 miles per hour. We're just trying to relax . We played rummy Q , the game with the tiles, this afternoon and I did some keyboard playing , which I haven't had the chance to do in ages. My house is cleaner than I can remember. We've done all we can do so we're just enjoying the company of Jason, since he had to come home from college in Orlando and the company of my mom.

We're praying that everyone here and throughout the state will be OK. Hugs to all.

It must be horrible for you all to have to sit and wait and not know where and when the storm will hit. I have been following it all along, but I had to go out tonight for awhile, and I couldn't stop thinking of my friends in the path of the storm. I have been praying for you all. Take care, and stay safe!

Didn't realize you were inland Jeff. Our relatives in West Palm and Sebastian have evacuated to another state..............We did experience a few hurricanes when we lived in New York but I don't think anything like you are experiencing right now...Stay safe and I hope this is the last of it before I get down there in two weeks...........

Still sitting and waiting here in Central Florida. The waiting is the worst! So far we only have squalls of wind but you can tell it won't be long now.

My parents that live on the coast evacuated on Thursday. We live near Orlando so we're hoping it won't be awful but then again Charley really did a number on us here. :sad:

Extra coffee in the thermos, wash done, dishwasher emtied. That's about all I can do.

Hang in there Floridians we'll all get thru this together. Don't know how long we'll have power but we'll check in if we can.

sailingrose...

Praying for you.....

The storm isn't expected to make landfall until 2:00 am, TOMORROW MORNING! (Sunday)

Luckily, it's down to a Cat.2, and, once it hits the coast, should weaken even more. Hopefully, you won't get more than Tropical Storm-force winds. Unfortunately, it's moving very slowly, and the rain will be a problem....