• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
hazelson

Let's get serious for a moment

Rate this topic

I saw a lot of the September 11 tributes yesterday from ground zero. While I can see the need to remember the event I can't help but think it is just like picking at a scab. All those poor people who stood up and read the names of their loved ones who were lost on that terrible day were in so much pain when they spoke. I think it's time they get on with it. To keep bringing it up and showing it one tv must be pretty hard to bear. It shakes me and I was far away from it. I can't imagine what it must be like for the surviving families to see those planes going into those buildings over and over again. I think that has got to stop. How else will they be able to heal - the wives, the mothers, sisters, brothers, children. Just the humble opinion of someone who has experienced much loss. I would like to hear what you have to say. TTFN Jennifer

The anniversary hype has definitely died down. The first year anniversary, you couldn't get away from it if you tried. This year, I think it was more limited to the news channels, with only mentions of it on the news on a regular channel. If the families want to gather at the WTC site and read the names, and that's something that helps their healing process, fine with me.

Jennifer, I think that took a lot of courage for you to start a topic like this.

I do, however, feel the same way about it that you do. At the time I was outraged and very distraught by the attack. I stopped watching the TV coverage back then because it was a constant depressive reminder. I don't watch any coverage now, I switch channels. I'm not sticking my head in the sand, I know it happened, I'm still mad about it, but we have to move on.

The world is a very unkind place. The tragedy of the people impacted by the hurricanes, the genocide in Sudan, over a thousand US troops killed in Iraq and thousands of innocent civilians. The news is never really good, that's why I don't watch it too often. I grew up in England during WWII. I often wonder how my parents survived. When I was older and we talked about it, it was surprising how they always seemed to remember the good times and rarely spoke about the really dark days. I guess time heals a lot of things, but I think we also have to give it a helping hand.

What happened was a horrific event. We, the People of the United States of America were attacked, on our own soil! Right before our very eyes, on live TV! Not since the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor has an experience, such as this, occurred.

alt text

Almost 3,000, innocent, people lost their lives, in the attack, and one of the major symbols of democracy and freedom were destroyed. Shockwaves were launched across our nation, and around the world!

I, as everyone else, suffered a countless number of feelings, ranging from disbelief, horror, anger and a host of others.

Looking back, however, I have put this horrendous incident into a different perspective.

To begin with, the individual personal feelings put aside, the number of people that were lost didn’t even put a dimple on the overall death rate for the year. A few thousand more, or less, doesn’t alter the overall picture. Technically ( and ONLY technically), the loss was meaningless.

As far as the loss of the Trade Center, this was also a small loss, financially. Only the emotional, symbolic, beating we took, is important. A major hurricane does more damage than the collapse of the towers, as do many natural, and man-made, disasters.

The principal issue is that the attack occurred right here, in our own country! Yet, this is a common occurrence in many parts of the world. In Israel, terrorists have committed almost 300 attacks, on innocent civilians and tourists, since the attack on New York; more, by percent iof population, than were lost in that single, infamous, day. In several African nations, “tribal warfare,†actually “genocide,†is a daily occurrence. In Northern Ireland, before the “truce,†the story was the same. It happens all over the worl; just, not here!

Like the rest of you, I will never forget that day; the images on TV; the reaction of myself, and all around me; and, in general, the emotions surrounding them. However, I think a simple commemorative, every September 11th, and the memorial being built at Ground Zero should suffice. Yes, “enough is enough…..â€Â

Jeff, I don't know what you do for a living, but if you don't write editorials for a living, you're in the wrong business.

Last year, I got to go to Hawaii and while we were there, we visited the Arizona Memorial. It was something that I had always wanted to do and it was as emotional as I expected.

Very well stated. Thank you.

Thank you, jbond. I am truly (!) flattered by your post!

Actually, I'm in the insurance claims industry, and have never written professionally. The truth is, when I put pen to paper, about serious matters, I just write what I feel....

While I try to live my life in an upbeat manner, as reflected in many of my posts ( :grin: :grin: :grin: ), it does not keep me immune from the tragedies in life, only easier to get through them....

We were in Queens on Friday for my BIL's retirement party, a bittersweet celebration as his son is not around to help him celebrate. My BIL is still in a bad way over his son's recent death but slowly coming to the realization that in order to honor his son he must move on and start to enjoy life. And so it is with many families from that horrible day. But there are some who can never move on, and I wonder if those big to do's help or hurt. But when were leaving go onto the Long Island Expressway we saw the twin columns of light, and that was somber, yet uplifting.

I have to make a comment on the aftermath's of that day, I guess those far away do not feel as changed as those who live so close do, but the day that it hit home the most was a week or so after it happened. My DH & I were on a trip home from my Mother's house on Staten Island. We took the Brooklyn -Queens expressway which passes the Statute of Liberty and you can see Manhattan very clearly. It was a semi rainy night, but the sky was clearing up. But a cloud hung over the site, whether it was from the rain or just dust, I do not know. But they had super powerful lights on during the clean up and it illuminated the clouds so eeerily, and nowhere else, the cloud conatined all of it, you could almost feel the souls in the air. Plus the fact that there was a noticable hole in the familiar skyline. It was quite a profound moment for us. I wish I had a camera with us, words can not really convey what we saw. Those lights this week had the same effect. Most if us have moved on, but it has made a lasting effect on NYers