• Welcome Guest, Sign Up to Remove This Message!

As a member you'll be able to:

• Create a profile
    • Join the discussions
    • Create Blogs and Groups
    • Upload your cruise photos
    • Connect with other cruisers
    • Lots more

Join Today - It's FREE!

Sign in to follow this  
Jason

NHL - no more hockey

Rate this topic

I can't believe the news coming from the NHL! The lockout is now definite, the players will NOT be playing this season. What a mess! I just finished watching the press video from the nhl's website, and it's absurd. Because of some "people" wanting more and more money, look what's happened now.

Jason....

thanks for posting the info re: the NHL....it's great to have another hockey fan in this forum....Unfortunately, the NHL doesn't have the fan base that NFL and MLB has....so when you run into someone who actually likes and knows hockey and the NHL issues, its a great surprise....I'm from New England, a B's fan...but I like the style of play in the West coast better...the East is more conservative with "the trap", but the West is more "wide open," "faster" and more up and down the ice...

I'll post any news if I get any.....

by the way...I was disappointed the B's lost Knuble, Rolston, O'Donnell to free agency....Thank God they still have Gonchar, Thornton, and Raycroft..

take it easy....

We need to congratulate the Canada National team for defeating Finland for the world championship. Way to go Canada! May be our last televised hockey game for this season!

alt text

I was wondering where all the hockey fans that came out of the woodwork 3 months ago went LOL.

Yeah that Canada/Finland game Tuesday night was pretty good. Canada had me worried after that atrocious effort againt the Czechs on Saturday. I'm not one that considers it a big victory, since it's only the second time this tournament has been played. And it was basically set up for Canada to win. From what I've been hearing on the news, this wasn't a closely watched tournament outside of Canada.

As for the NHL, I feel for the popcorn vendor and the ushers, who will not get paid. They are the people hurt in this. I could care less about the players and owners, and really won't feel a void in my life if I can't watch the Leafs play Saturday night. What the papers around here are saying is that the owners will wait until next September, then declare an impasse under US labor law, and impose their own collective agreement. Not sure how that affects Canadian teams.

HUGE hockey fans in this house. My husband and I grew up going to Baltimore Clippers and Baltimore Skipjacks hockey games. Our son is into the sport bigtime!! Needless to say, we are all disappointed that there will be no hockey this season. We also watched the World Cup game on Tuesday night, knowing it was probably the last hockey game we'd see for awhile.

Big hockey fans in this house also. We're Flyers fans out here. I had season tickets for quite a few years, dating back to 1972 when they were the real Broad Street Bullies. We'll miss hockey.

Howard

Howard,

I was living in Chicago area during that era and became big Blackhawk fans, Hull brothers, Mikita, Stapleton, Magneson, and other I can't remember. I was at the big brawl at Chicago Stadium when Orr for Boston knocked out a couple of Keith Magneson teeth. Even some of the fans got into the action with the Boston players in the penalty box. Our seats were up in nose bleed territory! Magneson was killed in a traffic accident this year.

Philly was a mere expansion team starting to come together as a team and powerhouse. I think they earned their reputation of the Broad Street Bullies at Chicago Stadium. Sometime a hockey game would even break out!

Hockey was certainly different back then. The game was much slower, and there was probably more legal hitting. Certainly, there were more fights, and bench-clearing brawls. There was also less cheap shots, and stick swinging. I remember lots of good games with the Blackhawks. They had a great team when I started to follow hockey. Keith Magneson was always one of the big rivals of Dave "the Hammer" Schultz. :grin:

Howard