• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Change of plans

Rate this topic

teacp

Well, here it is Thursday evening...we fly out of Newark tomorrow morning at 7:40 for our cruise on Saturday on the Glory and they have changed our ports of call from the Eastern Caribbean to the Western. Instead of Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten we are now going to Costa Maya, Belize(again), Cozumel(again), and Progresso........What the heck we will go with the flow and just enjoy it..See you all next week..........

Enjoy, and who knows, by the time you sail, that other one brewing out behind Jeanne will come in and send you east again. LOL I'm sure the people in charge of ship scheduling are pulling out their last hairs by now.

Dear Maria and Ken,

Glad you checked in with us from Jersey. I hope you had a great time with your family. I'm sure you'll have a great time, no matter which ports you end up in. You've got the right attitude. At least you're cruising. Have a wonderful week. Hugs, Cheryl

Maria-

alt text

Cm'on, now, ....you'se ain't gonna let a little thing like a change of itinerary get to a New Yawker? Is dat what dey taught you at Richmond High? Dis ain't the ferry to Battery park....

Seriously, a cruise, is a cruise, is a cruise... The ports are nice diversions, but the ship is the true destination. And, with all that weather happening, out there, who knows what ports you'll finally get to? You may visit somewhere you never dreamed, and love it.

If you haven't been to Chankanaab park, on Cozumel, I think you'll love it.

alt text

It's one of my favorite places, and I've been there a dozen times. The main beach isis only "so-so," but there's terrific diving and snorkeling (snorkel gear rents for $6.00, US). Back from shore is a fascinating Archaeological Park, complete with winding jungle trails, replicas from sites throughout Mexico, a typical Mayan village, and free guided tours. There's also a beautiful botanical garden, and the centerpiece of the park, a beautiful lagoon - a sinkhole filled from the sea by underground tunnels. It's filled with tropical reef fish, which you can view from overlooks on the shore. Admission is $10 (US) and children are free.

From Progreso, if it interests you, take the excursion to Uxmal.

alt textalt text

It is one of the most interesting Maya sites, and has the onle oval-shaped pyramid. Many of the buildings have been beautifully restored, but there are a few areas still being excavated and restored, so you get to see the ruins in there past and present states.

My oldest son is an archeologist, and got me hooked on the history of Pre-Columbian Indiginous Americans over 20 years ago, after he returned from a dig, for college, in Belize. I have been to many ruins, and Uxmal is among my three favorites.

I do not recommend that you walk the streets of Progreso!!!