• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
DaCruzNut

Another "Close Call" for South Florida

Rate this topic

Well, Jeanne threw another scare into those of us in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties.

Last-minute filling in of hurricane supplies; shutters up; property secured; prescriptions for Xanax filled; Port of Miami and Port Everglades closed; and on-&-on-&-on......

Thankfully, the storm took a northerly turn, just before landfall, and spared us the full brunt. But, the preparations weren't for naught!

Somewhere around 4:00 pm, the wind really started to kick up, and sheets of rain began to fly horizontally in the gusts. It started as a roar, built up to a howl and, then, converted to a sound that is nearly impossible to describe. As a new Yorker, the closest I can come to illustrating the sound is to liken it to standing on the station of the Subway and having the train rushing past you, 4-5 feet away, while another train, or two, is passing on adjacent tracks. It is a very eerie, and frightening, sound. Add to that the sound of cracking tree limbs; rain and debris hitting the house, and shutters; and a host of unidentifiable sounds.

Electric power went, and came back, several times, for a few hours. Then, at 6:30 pm it just went out. Portable radio on; flashlights and lantern (battery) lit; Marley on my lap; here we go again…..

The storm continued for only a few hours, and everything, here, seems to have held up pretty well. Amazingly, the power came back on at about 4:40 am! Wow, I don’t have to throw out a refrigerator, and freezer, full of food, as I did after Frances!

Well, the storm is over. It lasted less than twelve hours. One of the small costs in the price we pay for living in Paradise.

My heart breaks, however, for my neighbors just to the north, both my friends and strangers, who have had to endure two hurricanes in two weeks. Blasted by Frances, and again by Jeanne! Even though my home was destroyed by Andrew, I cannot begin to imagine what it would have been like to have been hit a second time a few weeks later…

I do not look forward to going to work tomorrow (I’m an Insurance Adjuster….) and having to face these poor people, knowing that nothing I can say will be of any real assistance.

alt text

1 A Psalm of thanksgiving. Shout unto the Lord, all the earth.

2 Serve the Lord with gladness; come before His presence with singing.

3 Know ye that the Lord He is God; it is He that hath made us, and we our His, His people, and the flock of His pasture.

4 Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise; give thanks unto Him, and bless His name.

5 For the Lord is good; His mercy endureth for ever; and His faithfulness unto all generations.

Thank God, a million times, Jeff. We were just so lucky again . Yes, I feel horrible for those north of us. It is so heartbreaking to watch the news with those folks who've lost so much . It is just unbelievabe how this storm took the same path as before. You have a tough job ahead of you but your kindness and your warmth will help those you come in to contact with. Your positive outlook will provide courage and support to those you meet. Just know that we're here for you if you want to unload. Hugs to you. Cheryl :kiss:

Jeff and Cheryl and Jason...I'm so glad that you are safe and didn't have much damage! I hope our other Cruise Crazies are o.k.! Four hurricanes in six weeks is just unbelievable. My thoughts and prayers are with you all!