New Features: Member Referral Links, Top Posters, Member of the Month!

Read more here

• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

what a weekend in Orlando, FL

Rate this topic

The 4th hurricane in 5 weeks...definitely a record!

The path Jeanne followed is unreal! The complete loop in the Caribbean...has that ever happened before?!?! :shocked:

Saturday night we had to evacuate the apartment complexes, and spend Saturday evening until Sunday night in one of the designated classroom building shelters. There were a couple hundred of us students in our building. (there were several buildings operating as shelters)

From the lobby of the building, we watched through the panoramic glass windoew, as the incredible gusts of wind blew past the building, blowing small tree branches around. At some points, you couldn't even see out the window because the wind was blowing the rain so hard. If you sat out in the lobby, you'd hear the constant banging of something loud on the roof, all night long Saturday night. This unnerved some people, so the lobby wasn't too crowded during the brunt of the storm. We found ourselves watching the stop signs and metal signs in the parking lot nearby hanging on by a thread throughout the storm...you could bet money that they would be gone by the storm's end, after seeing them bend like never seen before.

To pass the time, we watched a countless number of movies, courtesy of the gigantic projection screens in each classroom, where we also slept Saturday night. We also ate all kinds of goodies including chocolate, cake, pop tarts, milky ways, doritos, cereal, donuts, and anything else unhealthy! :wink: We had to enjoy ourselves somehow, right? :grin: Another common activity was sleep, a college student's favorite. Luckily we didn't lose power or water during the hurricane.

As soon as the wind died down last night, they let us out of the shelter, and we returned to our apartments, luckily no damage to our rooms. Besides some minor water damage in some campus buildings and more downed trees, everything else is ok here, unlike some neighboring communities very close to the campus.

Classes were cancelled today, they'll resume tomorrow. So that's how it went in this part of Orlando this weekend. Oh yea, and 1 more thing....I'm sick of hurricanes!!! :angry:

We are also sick of hurricanes!! We were right up the road from you in Deltona, and for the 3rd time in 6 weeks, rode out a hurricane in our home. The eye of Charley came right over top of us. Frances got us good as well. Jeanne was headed right for us but decided to go further west, so the maximum sustained winds for Jeanne were only 64mph. I say "only" because with Charley and Frances we had 90mph sustained winds with wind gusts of 100mph. I feel very blessed that we have gone through 3 hurricanes and had no damage to our home or surrounding property.

My heart goes out to everyone in the path of these hurricanes who sustained damage or loss; I keep all of them in my thoughts and prayers!

Jason and Dawn...what a scary thing to go through! I'm so glad that you are o.k!My heart goes out to you and all the hurricane victims. What an unbelievable season!