• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
DaCruzNut

Happy Sukkot!

Rate this topic

alt textThe festival of Sukkot, also the "Feast of Booths" (or Tabernacles),alt text

is named for the huts (sukkah) that Moses and the Israelites lived in as they wandered the desert for 40 years before they reached the Promised Land. These huts were made of branches and were easy to assemble, take apart, and carry as the Israelites wandered through the desert.

Depending where you live determines the length and celebration of Sukkot. Most the of world observes the festival for 9 days. The first two and the last two days being the most important. In Israel the festival is only celebrated for 8 days and the first and last days being the most important.

Sukkot completes the biblical trilogy began with Passover and Shavuot. This cycle begins with the fleeing of the people of Israel from Egypt (Passover), continues with Moses receiving of the Ten Commandments at Mount Sinai (Shavuot), and concludes as the Israelites wander the desert living in huts and awaiting their entrance into the Promised Land.

As a child, Sukkot was my favorite celebration. I loved the decoration, eating outdoors, etc. Thank you for the post, Jeff.

It was always one of mine, too. Next Friday, my Temple is doing the traditional Simchat Torah; apples, candles, little flags and all!

alt text

We'll be marching, and dancing, with the Torah.

My best friends are Jewish and Jon built his own hut in the backyard and they've been taking meals there. They decorated the walls with art work that their son made at Hebrew school. Too cool!