• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Question about booze carry-ons.

Rate this topic

LunchBox

Hello all. I just found this site and I'm very glad because I've been looking for cruising advice from "real" people and don't know too many who've cruised.

My wife and I are planning a cruise next summer and I've been doing research from books and web sites and what not. I think I've narrowed it down to the Carnival Inspiration out of Tampa for a 5 day W Caribbean.

The only thing I'm not too sure of is this: do cruiselines have a rule about bringing your own alchohol or other drinks aboard? I've read that you can't bring it aboard from the ports of call but what about right from the get-go?

I know the drinks are very expensive so I was wondering if a bottle of rum in your suitcase for a pre-dinner cocktail in your cabin is a no-no.

Doc from the Love Boat asked women back to his cabin for a night cap all the time so why can't I?? :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Do not know about Carnival, but I know on Princess you can bring wine onboard no problem. We also ordered from room service a bottle( 26 er) of rum for 20$, and bought a six pack of diet coke in the first port . Drinks on our balcony every night. Plus on Princess each room has a fridge( an empty one, not a mini bar!) and the room steward refilled our ice bucket everyafternoon without us asking!

If you go to the Carnival web site, down at the bottom of the page is a link called FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions). Click on it and on the next page click on the link for Beverage Service, then on Can I Bring Liquor Onboard. That takes you to the following:

Can I Bring Liquor On Board?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board.

One bottle of fine wine or champagne, per stateroom, may be brought on board during embarkation only. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the Dining room for consumption, a $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged to the guest; otherwise, the guest may only drink the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of a stateroom. The wine and/or champagne may NOT be brought into any other public lounge or area.

Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities, to be determined at the discretion of security and/or the embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and retained by Carnival until the cruise is completed.

Ports-of-Call

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Ship Gift Shops

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Drinking Alcohol On Board -

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop Staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.