• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tip the Concierge?

Rate this topic

RGH

We'll be in a penthouse (Categ AB) aboard the NCL Star this winter. First time in a cabin above a balcony. For penthouse residents, NCL provides use of a concierge who can make "Freestyle" dining and excursion arrangements, among other things. I'm unclear about whether and what to tip this person. NCL has its new fixed/mandatory gratuity built in to the cruise account at $10 per day for the cabin steward, waiter and busboy, but I'm unclear how to address the concierge. I realize we're paying a lot more for the penthouse, and this service is included as a "perk" I assume. Thanks.

Can't speak for NCL but on RCI we do tip the concierge depending on how much they do for us. The Concierge service provide: pre-dinner cocktails, canapes, continental breakfast, advice on the ports, reservations for the spa, shore excursions, and restaurants, etc.

Each lines concierge does different things so I guess if you use the service you should tip something depending on how much help you felt they were.

Like Sailingrose, we've only experienced concierge service on RCI and we do tip them. However, it should depend on what they do for you. If it's just book excusions etc, remember that the concierge is a salaried staff member, unlike the wait and room staff. We usually tip between $5 and $10 per day, depending on how much we use the service.

The "suggested," and customary, tip for the Concierge is the same as the Cabin Steward (oops, sorry, Cabin Attendant...). However, I only use that as a 'rough guide,' and adjust the gratuity to the quantity, and quality, of the service.