• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
ssatterly

How do you all feel acout female firefighters?

Rate this topic

Just wondering. I am getting a lot of flack from some of the guys on my fire department because I am a female and they think that I should leave (they are old school I guess) and others think its fine. What do you all think?

I think they're afraid that you are going to be better at the job than they are. :smiley:

I put up with this every day in my job. I am the only female at my level in our company, and my counterparts are all younger than I am...some by 15 years... and judging from where they live and that many are the sole breadwinners in their families, I'll bet they are paid more, as well. Worst thing is that when they take a stand on something, they are being "good managers." When I do the same, I am called the the "b-word."

Fortunately, this group constitutes just a small component of our firm, and most of the gentlemen in our office treat me and everyone else with respect.

I'd say to ignore these fearful fighters... except when you are fighting fires, of course. Are you the only female in your unit? Perhaps there is a professional organization of female firefighters near you that you can join to swap stories and lend support during non-working hours? Being part of a professional women's group has helped me a lot.

And to answer your original question -- as long as someone can rescue me from a burning building or other perilous situation, it makes no difference to me.

I've been a nurse for 28 years, and that means that I've been in a job dominated by females since the beginning. I felt some prejudice from many of the female nurses that I've encountered over the years, but that's mostly a thing of the past. I don't think that any one of them felt that I would do a better job than them. On the contrary, I think they felt that a man couldn't do the job at all.It's just a case of stereotyping. Probably, in your case, it's the same thing. Firefighting is a job that's very dangerous. Therefore, everyone must work as a team to get the job done. These men (many of whom are probably macho in their own minds) probably feel that frightened that a woman couldn't physically do the job so they feel physically threatened. The only way to cure the feeling is to show them that you can do the job as well as any man. Once you do this, not only will they stop complaining, but they'll probably start to defend you when others say the same thing. Hang in there. :wink:

Howard

We were at the Terri Clark dinner show in Kentucky last year. Seated at the table next to us was two Baltimore Firefighters, one who was female. We heard the male tell others at his table that his female partner had to carry him down a flight of stairs in order to become a Firefighter. He said she was able to do it and she has became a great Firefighter.

Incidentally we went to the movies last weekend and saw Ladder 49. As you stated in another post--it was a great movie and it was filmed in Baltimore.alt textalt text

I don't see any male firefighters on our local department that could probably carry all 300-ish pounds of me down a flight of stairs, so I won't make that a qualification for a female either LOL. As far as I'm concerned, any woman who can pass all the testing required should be entitled to the respect the position carries.

Lisa, my wife can relate to being the only woman (or one of the very few women) in her position. She does computer design of auto parts, and she had a lot of trouble the first few years getting respect. She actually caused a parts plant to stop working, because everyone was so shocked to see a woman on the shop floor. It's as if these guys had been stuck on in a male prison for a couple decades LOL.

She had a meeting with the President of Toyata USA a few years ago when they were designing the Solara convertible. She did the part where the roof connects to the windshield. She had done lots of work for the company she was subbing to, and they knew how good she was. But the Toyota guy, who is Japanese, and doesn't yet grasp the concept of women in corporate positions, totally showed her no respect at the meeting. She walked out, and the guy at the parts company immediately came to her defense and flat out told them if they hoped to have that car on the market before the next summer season, he better get used to having Karen in on the meeting, since she was the one that fixed the Toyota engineering problems LOL.

You go girl - if it was my life in the balance I wouldn't care if the fire fighter was male, female or alien - as long as you were there. Keep your chin up - lifted high so you can look down your nose at those that might give you a hard time. TTFN Jennifer

You passed all the tests, you are as qualified as they are maybe more, you obviously have compassion. It doesn't matter what sex you are if you can do the job. You hang in there and keep your head up. To H*** with those that don't think you caqn. In time they will see.