• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruising craziness

Rate this topic

iriscruiser

Ok I am sending out a plea of help top all my extended cruising friends. Being that this will be our first cruise, I need some help. My DH has decided that we won't have alot of fun and will stick out like sore thumbs. Reason: We are in our mid 40's and not the best physique. I am 44 and weigh about 200 and am 5'8" tall. He is 47 and weighs about 200 and is 5'10" tall. He thinks we are going to look like a cxouple of fat old whales.

I think he has been watching too much love boat or baywatch or something. Can you guys please help me convince him that everyone who cruises is not 19 and a gymnast or weight lifter. And that we will fit in fine. Thank you all so much..

Now that we are getting down to counting the days, I am getting excited and he is getting depressed. :huh: Men!! can't live with them, can't live without them.

Tell him I am 57 years old, 6'0" and 230 lbs and don't give a crap what others think. I am who I am. Rita would like for me to lose a few lbs, but she loves me any way! He will see all kinds of folks on the cruise ship--small, medium, large, larger, and larger yet. You guys will be just fine.alt text

Hello,

Well...let me tellyou something....i really don't think thats the real reason. It is a more underlying problem. Maybe he doesn't want to spend the money....crusing by far is the best vacation value. A lot of people do not want to try new things and your husband is only finding excuses to not do something. he will come up with other excuses. Next it will be...you go and have a good time i will stay home. If he doesn't want to go.....let him stay home. :huh:

Gotta agree with most...I am not a "small" person.....and I am 42......and I have never felt out of place on any cruise....Celebrity, Princess, Carnival or Premier. There are all types and sizes of people on board. If anyone has a problem with your size it is THEIR problem.....the VAST majority of us are not perfect and have no right to criticize others.

Go and have a good time..................and oh to be that young again and be able to be that fit without much effort. Just wait til age and lower metabolisms and medical conditions hit them.............

It sounds to me as if someone is suffering from "pre-cruise jitters...."alt text

People on a cruise are like people anywhere else. A mix of all shapes and sizes. In fact, I think that the percentage of larger people is higher on a cruise, than in the general population. There is absolutely no reason to feel self-conscious.

There are two things to keep in mind:

1) Your fellow passengers will be so busy having a good time, that they won't have time to judge others.

2) Even the 'skinny' passengers won't be that way, at the end of the cruise, and you have a head start!

Stop worrying! there will be, literally, hundreds of passengers boarding with the exact same concerns that you have!

Thanks everyone for all your opinions. It is all what I have been telling him all along. Jeff I think you hit it right on the nose about pre-cruise jitters. He is feeling better about it. After all if us two middle age somewhat fat people can hike 20 miles and bike for 10 hours what are we worried about?

Gogetter I think yu are very much off base in your assumption of him not wanting to spend the money. If he did not want to do that we would not be going on a cruise and most definetely would not have just spent a lot of money on to motercycles on of which is a BMW touring rig. But thanks for your concern any way.

April...tell him not to worry! There will definitely be people of all shapes and sizes, and many of us will not be slim and trim. I lost my Marilyn Monroe figure many years ago. lol I have been trying hard to lose weight for this cruise, but haven't been doing so well. People will just have to love me the way I am, lol :grin:

I actually think that guys with a little extra weight on are kind of sexy!! :grin:

My DH is very sexy! :grin: