• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Shari2

Feeling Kind Of Sad

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone!

I'm feeling kind of sad today. We just got a letter from the organization where we help to support a poor child. We have helped our girl since she was little, and now that she's 18, her parents want to take her out of the program to marry her off. She lives in India. We had a little boy before her, and his parents took him out of the program at a young age.

Our girl is such a sweetheart! She always sent us letters, telling us how much she loved us, and how she always prayed for us, and how grateful she was for our helping her with her education, etc.

I was hoping that she could get some college, but her parents have taken her out of school now to marry her off. I am so sad thinking that we may never hear from her again.

I am grateful that we had these years with her. I know that in India, sometimes they marry their daughters at a lot younger, but I will worry about her. I hope they find a good man for her that she can love.

Hope my spelling is o.k. I'm typing this through tears!

Shari, how wonderful of you to be involved in the life of a child on the other side of the world. I know you have enriched her life more than she has enriched yours. From what you said in your post, I am certain that she will always remember the kindness and support you have shown her over the years.

Hugs,

Lisa

Shari - I'm sorry for your sadness, but you should be VERY proud of yourself!! What you have done for this little girl, and the little boy before her, is something very special!!

Hope you are feeling a little bit happier very soon.

Shari that is a sad story - I only hope she is marrying someone for love and not just because it was "arranged". It is sometimes hard for us to understand other cultures - but it does seem so unfair. Just know you did the best you could for her. TTFN Jennider

Hi Lisa, Dawn and Jennifer!

Thanks for your kind words. Sorry if I was a bit emotional earlier. I was posting on this board when my DH handed me the letter from the organization that we sponsered her through. It just broke our hearts. She has been like one of our own for many years, and we don't know if we will ever hear from her again.

I'm a little nervous about the arranged marriage, but I know that's the way they do it in India. I just hope that her husband will treat her well. I know that God didn't put her in our lives for no reason, and I know that HE won't abandon her. So, if we never hear from her again, I know that God will be with her, and that she'll always be in our hearts.

Thanks, gymbrat...

I hope that someday she'll be able to write us to at least let us know that she is safe and happy.

Dear Shari,

I'm so sorry to hear of your sadness and the reason for it. This girl and the boy before her were so lucky to have you in their lives and I'm sure the relationships you shared with them have given them the strength to deal with whatever takes place in their lives. You gave them a wonderful gift, a gift of yourselves, something so precious, that when they feel the need they can use their memory of you and all your kindness to sustain them. For them, you will always be their strength, their love and their hope. God bless you for all that you've done for them. Please feel better soon . Hugs, Cheryl :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Thanks, Cheryl...

I'm hoping that whatever happens in their lives that they'll always remember that someone that they never even met loves them. I was just getting ready to send our girl a Christmas present.

You couldn't send much,(people steal out of the mail system there) just some trinkets in a small manila folder, but she always loved to get little things like postcards and pictures and trinkets, and she would always get a new dress from birthday and Christmas money.

I just hope that whoever her parents marry her to that he will love her and be good to her and not stifle what she has learned.

Hugs, everyone!!!!!