• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
bicker

Advice for a broken toe

Rate this topic

Does anyone have any good advice for handling a broken toe? I smashed it against a door jamb on Saturday, and it's a bit better today, but my cruise starts on Friday and I'd like to make the most of it, without risking not being able to make anything of it.

Do I try to walk on it sooner? or hold off as much as possible?

Dear bicker,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mishap. I wish I had some advice but maybe another CruiseCrazies member will . I hope you make a very speedy recovery so that you can fully enjoy your cruise. Cheryl

By the way, bicker, I don't see your cruise on our CruiseCrazies calendar. Please feel free to post your cruise date and the ship you'll be sailing. Just click on "calendar " in the left hand corner or the tab at the top.

My best advice would be to not kick anything, and it will heal fine :)

Seriosuly, I have no idea what the best thing to do is. Maybe you could try taping it to the toe beside it, to minimize movement and see if that makes it easier to walk around. Hopefully it will feel better by this weekend for your cruise.

Bicker...

I'm so sorry to hear that you broke your toe...and just when you are to take your first cruise! Have you seen the doctor, yet? I would surely ask him what he thinks about walking on it and when. I would think that he would maybe splint it and you could possibly wear an orthopedic open toed shoe, but I'm only guessing.

I would see the doctor right away, and find out what he thinks that you should do! You might need some pain medication, also.

Good Luck...hope it heals fast!

Bicker - if you are able to walk on it now, it is probably not that bad a break. Take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen (2 tablets every 6 hours) and rest and elevate it when you can. Sometimes a cold compress (or ice pack) a couple of times a day will help.

Can't wait for Friday!!!! See you on the Majesty!

Hello,

Funny you should ask...my wife recently broke her toe.....the one next to the big toe. I took her to the doctor and the doctor said there isn't much they can do for a broken toe.

First you can soak it in epsom salts to help with the swelling. My own personal opinion is to lightly massage it to cut down on swelling and to keep the blood flowing. Also it helps to regain a mormal feeling. My wife used a pair of my flip flops, you know ...open toe...no thong......they were a little big but very comfrtable.

That's about it......good luck and take care......enjoy the cruise... :grin:

A few years ago I broke my big toe. They taped the big toe to the little one. So Try taping them together. I also wore bigger shoes. But on a cruise sandals may be the best thing, plenty of room. There will be swelling.

Thanks for all the great advice. My little piggie is still pretty darned swollen, but I'm definitely able to walk on it.

Dan: I'm surely going to try taping my toe: I was going to anyway, actually, which is a little spooky. That toe is a bit off alignment as it is, or so it seems, since I find I need to tape it so that it doesn't get caught on the ribbing of my snandals (not misspelled -- http://images.rei.com//big/chips/707782_563.jpg -- great stuff). Well, I don't think it'll fit into the snandals right now, no matter what, but I hope taping will help deal with the impact of the swelling a bit.

Shari: I've broken toes before, and know that the doctor will shake his head, charge me $50, and tell me there's nothing he can do. I figured since I could walk on it a bit, he'd be relatively unconcerned. I'm not much for pain medication -- my wife thinks I'm crazy, but I just don't use medication unless it is really a big problem. Reducing the swelling, though, that's something I definitely want to do.

By the way, this'll be our second cruise. A full travelogue, with over 600 photos, of our first cruise is on my web site. [url=http://brianandrobbie.com/offwegotoegypt]http://brianandrobbie.com/offwegotoegypt

Lisa: I'm definitely going to try a regimen of ibuprofen to deal with the inflammation, and by the time I get to Miami the cold won't be much of an issue with the sandals. I can't wait for Friday! Seeyathen. (Don't try to recognize us from the Egypt photos on our web site. We've lost 160 pounds between the two of us since then. Here's a good shot of us now: [url=http://brianandrobbie.com/BrianAndRobbie2003.jpg]http://brianandrobbie.com/BrianAndRobbie2003.jpg -- maybe we'll bump into each other!)