• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

So, exactly how healthy do you eat aboard...

Rate this topic

Jason

When you go on a cruise, do you completely ditch your healthy eating habits back on the dock, heading to the desert bar for every meal (10x daily), or do you still eat healthy?

Me eating healthy on a cruise??? No thanks! Anything in sight that looks good, is "taste-tested" by me. :grin:

This should get interesting! :wink: hehe

Breakfast is basically bad in terms of healthy eating for me on a cruise. I do eat more fruit and vegetables on a cruise than I normally would, but for breakfast, I load up on eggs, bacon, sausages, toast, potatoes. If it's a port day, I don't eat as much, since I generally don't eat in port, unless we are off the ship for a long time, or there's a place we want to go eat at. Sea days, I find myself grazing at the buffet a lot, or hitting the bbq or pizza joint in the afternoon. Dinner's are usually the healthiest of all meals for me. I rarely order second entrees and usually have one dessert.

I hardly gain weight on a cruise, or maybe a couple pounds at most. I do get a lot more exercise on a ship though. All that walking, and up and down stairs. I mean, the corner variety store here is closer to my house than the length of the Grand Princess, and I drive there LOL

When I'm home, I try to watch my diet very carefully. I keep to low fat foods, avoid red meat, eggs, etc; and, generally, eat very healtily. However, on a cruise, I tend to go a little overboard (no pun intende....).

In fact, to put it it into it's proper context,

on a cruise, I'm a bit of aalt text

My first few cruises, I think I went a bit overboard(to use Jeff's term lol)but now I eat what I really want but try to eat smaller portions and make sure that I really want it.

I don't worry too much about eating healthy on a cruise since I have plenty of fish and chicken and fruits and veggies and whole grains at home. I don't eat after dinner(late sitting) and try not to have too much alcohol.

I try to take the stairs whenever I can, and I get a lot more exercise than I'm used to with all the tours and just walking the length of the ship and doing the stairs. This next cruise, I'm thinking of going to the gym for a bicycle ride or a bit of walking on the treadmill.

O.K. ...I"m only thinking about it! :grin:

We try to eat in moderation and we do skip the midnight buffets, however, if we gain some--oh well. We do take the stairs only and walk a lot, and of course dance as much as possible, and we also...well you know what we mean! :grin: :grin:

We try not to over eat on a cruise, but it can be very difficult, as you all know. The most I ever gained on a cruise is about 1 pound. We never have anything after dinner (we always have late seating), and seldom snack during the day. Three big meals is more than we're used to, anyway. Of course, there is the occasional ice cream in the late afternoon, but not every day. :wink:

Howard