• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
KeithnRita

Do you remember?

Rate this topic

Wow! It does bring back lots of nice memories. It's actuallya little sad to realize the nice things we had. The best line in there was "And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace,

and share it with the children of today? " The kids today, unfotunately , would never understand. Hopefully, they can look back with the same memories of today.

Thanks for sharing. :smiley:

Howard

Keith and Rita,

That was great. I still have some Green Stamp books in the closet and I even have my green box with the little clip lock that we used to hold our 45s in. In the garage , I have a record player that still works and Wayne has a bunch of LP records.

I just loved and miss the diners with the jukebox next to the table. I loved my Nancy Drew books so as soon as my daughter could read, I started buying them. Oh how I wish I still had my own collection. We do have a hula hoop but it just sits in the garage. I think that our not having computers and video games back then, caused us to enjoy doing such a wider variety of activities than the kids today. I am so glad , though, that certain things I did as a kid , I am still doing with mine, such as playing Monopoly, and my daughter reading Nancy Drew and and The Hardy Boys.

Thanks for the great memories, Keith and Rita. :kiss:

Wow it really does bring back memories My kids think I'm crazy when I mention some things. Cloud watching. We still do this matter of fact over the summer on a trip to lake Champlain we were crossing the ferry to Burlington Vt and I looked at a cloud and said to my DH doesn't that look just like a chicken on a nest. It was late in the afternoon and the coloring was even slightly yellow. Yes I did take a picture. I also loved Nancy Drew.Teaberry gum wow memories. thanks for sharing.

Thanks Keith and Rita they were great. I sure do remember the submarine races at the end of Staten Island while Ken and I watched the Verrazano bridge being built.

When I was sorting out he Hallowe'en stuff I came across a box of Lp's - oldie like "Herman's Hermits" and Paul Anka - it's sad no one plays them anymore - they just sit in boxes getting dusty but I can't part with them. They seem huge compared to cd's. Then I look at my mp3 player and get really confused - all that music in such a tiny package - guess that's progress. I'll sit here and look at Herman's picture and sing "There's a kind of hush...." ahh to good old days. TTFN Jennifer

alt text

Try to remember the kind of September

When life was slow and oh, so mellow.

When grass was green and grain was yellow.

When you were a tender and callow fellow.

Try to remember, and if you remember,

Then follow.

Follow, follow, follow, follow, follow,

Follow, follow, follow, follow.

Try to remember when life was so tender

That no one wept except the willow.

That dreams were kept beside your pillow.

That love was an ember about to billow.

Try to remember, and if you remember,

Then follow.

Deep in December, it's nice to remember,

Although you know the snow will follow.

Without a hurt the heart is hollow.

The fire of September that made us mellow.

Deep in December, our hearts should remember

And follow.

I feel so old! But not sad about that as it has been good to be around when life was simpler and slower. I love technology and the speed of sharing information but I think that we are just going too fast.

I remember going to the grocery store and there was a snack bar and my mother would give me ten cents for a pop and I would sit there when she did the shopping. I miss the burger joints where they bring the food to the car. Remember when the bus drivers used to have change packets on them and you didn't need exact fare and they would click the columns of coins? I think that copies were made on a...is it Gestettner machine?

I worked as a telephone operator on a cord board where we plugged into the calls. The were always fleas in those cords and the operators had flea bites on their arms. I worked in directory assisatance and we had huge telephone books and flipped through them to find a number.

I think there is much that is good about past and simpler life but also appreciate the increased tolerance and understanding these days.