• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Luggage restrictions

Rate this topic

iriscruiser

To all my seasoned cruise friends. Can someone please answer me this question. In my Docs that came yesterday, it said to visit the airlines website for luggage restrictions. We are traveling on American Airlines. It said carry ons 45 linear inches ( length+ width+ height) Does this mean I measure all around 4 sides or do I measure lentgth add to height add to width. My garment bag which we would use as carry on is 22 wide by 18 high that should give me 5 inches thick. Is this correct. I know this is a a crazy question, but I am getting anal at the last minute and don't want to screw up on the flight. Thanks again everyone :huh:

I always sweat the restrictions, always make sure that we are under the weight limitation etc, and then we get to the airport and people have all kinds of carry on. We have only had a problem once, with Virgin Atlantic, and I think that the desk clerk was having a bad day. We repacked our carry on at check in to meet their 11 lb weight restriction. I have never seen anyone measure luggage at check in, only weigh it. Some airlines do have a stand that has a frame attached to it that your carry on must fit in. Again, I've never seen it used.

DH says I can't bring so much luggage this time, but he insisted on buying new luggage that is already heavy. Some Samsonite with half of a hard type backing. Go Figure!!!

Maybe... I could bring three and he could bring one!! That would work for me!! And then he could still carry them.!! That sounds fair to me! :grin: :wink: :cheesy:

Sounds like a plan to me. This luggage thing is what is gonna make me nervous. If we were driving to the port it would be different, but we have to fly and the airlines seem so strict. I think I will have to do a trial packing. We have one big suitcase and one medium for checked luggage and a garment bag, a carry-on that is half for clothes and half for toiletries, and my handbag which will carry my smaller purse and the camera for carry ons. I think we need more luggage.

Sounds like you will be just fine, April! On our last two-week cruise, we had two large suitcases,(one 30 inch, and one around 26 or 28) one garment bag(stuffed), two rolling carry-ons and a camera and a purse. Yikes!!! No wonder he wants me to cut back on luggage! :grin:

We did try to keep the bags under 50 lbs, though!!! That was the limit for the airlines that we were flying!

Shari or weight limit is also 50 lbs. Thats what scares me. How big was your garment bag? Did you carry it on or check it? Ours is 22x18x5. I think it will just make it as a carry on. Besides that we have a large suitcase, a medium suitcase, a smaller carry on and I will carry a tote bag with my small purse and camera in it. Does that sound reasonable?

Hi April...

On our last flight each person was allowed to have two checked pieces of luggage each, I think(I will double check on this with Marc)and each person was allowed their own carry-on besides a purse and Marc carried the camera. I will have to check on the size of the garment bag.

It was a regular one that we checked, and believe me, it was stuffed. I'll check on it's size, and get back to you! We just bought new luggage for this cruise, and it's all with wheels and everything will lock together, but we'll have to see how it works out. We bought a new wheeled garment bag, also.

Hi April!

I measured our old garment bag, and it is about 20" folded in length , and 22" wide, and around 3" thick empty. We did check it, though! We had it stuffed full. We were on a two-week cruise and needed lots of formal and informal wear, so most of it was in there.

If you are concerned about yours, I would just check it. Be sure that you have your name, address, and all itinerary inside the luggage, also, just in case. DH says, that you can't exceed 62" total for checked luggage, and you get two each; on carry-on there is a 40 lb. limit. When you are all packed you can get out the scale and set your luggage on the scale and weight it.

We were a few pounds over on my 30", after I removed a few things at home, but no one ever weighed ours, and we went through many inspections, even hand inspected, at Acapulco airport.

My concern is on the way to the cruise port. I like to have a non-stop flight, so we will have less chance of losing luggage for the cruise. We booked our own air last time, and we had a non-stop for the way to the cruise port.

This time DH insisted on having the cruise lines book our air, and we have to change planes en route to San Diego, so I'm saying my prayers that we won't lose our luggage. We are flying Delta to the port. We have never flown Delta before, and I've heard mixed reviews about them.

You could always do what we are doing - driving over 1000 miles so we don't have to worry about luggage restrictions lol. Actually - we decided to drive just to stretch the trip out for a few more days. It's nice to get away from the kids for a couple of weeks - the kids being two dogs, two cats, two lovebirds and my mother.TTFN Jennifer