• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

onboard bungee jumping???

Rate this topic

Jason

Bungee option latest proof cruise lines are on a bounce

By Arthur Frommer, Special to the Denver Post

Having added rock-climbing to the merriments of a seagoing cruise (the stonelike footholds are cemented onto the funnels of several ships), the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line has just announced a new stunt for one of its vessels: bungee-jumping.

When the 74,000-ton Enchantment of the Seas enters dry dock for a short time next May, its top deck will be outfitted with four large trampolines under frames holding bungee harnesses and elastic ropes. Passengers will jump up and down, borne ever higher by the bungees, enjoying a dizzying high-altitude view of the entire ship against a vista of the sea. Hopefully, they won't plunge over the side.

These happy-go-lucky "improvements" of the cruise-ship experience are a reflection of the euphoric current attitudes of cruise-line officials. The cruise industry, felt to be more terror-proof than other forms of travel, is booming, and numerous sailing dates are sold out long in advance.

That condition has enabled the largest cruise line, Carnival Corp., to announce that its after-tax profit for the three months that ended Aug. 31 amounted to more than $1 billion, the first time any cruise line has enjoyed such mammoth earnings in such a short period. Therein lies the explanation for the recent announcement by Carnival and Royal Caribbean that they no longer will permit travel agents or cruise brokers to publicly advertise discounted prices for their sailings.

(Cruise brokers with whom I've spoken have said they will bypass the edict by combining the cruise with airfare and precruise hotel stays to disguise the cruise discount. But we will have seen an end to those exciting announcements of cruises-only for $499 and $599.)

Gee, what will they think of next? :shocked: That's one activity that doesn't seem compatible to being on a ship in the middle of the ocean. :shocked: Then again, not being very adventurous, I wouldn't go bungee jumping in my own backyard either. :tongue:

A roller coaster on a ship....I wouldn't be surprised anymore! :wink:

I too couldn't believe this bungee jumping idea was actually a truth. Just goes to show you how much the cruise lines are needing to stay competitive in today's economy.