New Features: Member Referral Links, Top Posters, Member of the Month!

Read more here

• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

'Saving Private Ryan' - too indecent for TV?

Rate this topic

NEW YORK (Nov. 11) - Several ABC affiliates have announced that they won't take part in the network's Veterans Day airing of ''Saving Private Ryan,'' saying the acclaimed film's violence and language could draw sanctions from the Federal Communications Commission.

What's your take on this? Too indecent? Or should we be allowed to watch history?

I don't think "indecent" is the right word, graphic may be a better choice.

It was shown locally on our ABC network, but we chose not to watch it, for the same reasons that we chose not to see it in the theatre or purchase the DVD. I find movies of that nature too disturbing to watch. The violence and human suffering is not something I want to see. I am fully aware of the sacrifice that was made by the men and women during WWII and all the other conflicts that we have been, and are still involved in, without having to see it in a movie or on TV.

The FCC puts out guidelines that the networks should adhere to, however, I do see a major difference in a movie like "Saving Private Ryan" and the Janet Jackson Super Bowl Halftime Show.

I agree with jbond. However, I did see the movie with my husband on DVD. I think that we all know the horrors of war without showing such graphic details on regular t.v. War is Hell!!

Yes...they did have a warning for age, but many parents today use the t.v. as a babysitter, or they just aren't able to be home enough to see what their children are watching. While I do see a difference in a war movie or a true life story as compared to one with no reason for the violence, I still don't think graphic violence should be shown on regular t.v.

I believe our nation and our children are being desensitized to so much violence, sex and blasphemy on t.v., that it is greatly affecting our nation and our children.

You never heard of children raping other children or shooting everyone at schools in years past. I think the influence of t.v and movies and radio is sooo great to our children that we have to have some kind of censorship. Not a censorship by the government. I'm not for big government, but a kind of decency censorship like we used to have by the people. We need to all get involved and hold the stations and advertisers accountable.

I see some of the shows that are aimed at the children, and it is shocking. Even in cartoons these days, they make fun of God, have sexual images, and extreme violence. Not the bugs bunny or road runner kind of funny scenes. If our children lose faith and hope then what will happen to them and what kind of a world will it be?

Just my opinion!!!

I might have heard mistaken info, but the news here said it was the use of language that was the issue, not the violent scenes. Kinda weird to hear language is an issue when here in Canada, we get The Sopranos uncensored on regular TV at 9pm Sundays.

I think there is a difference between shows depicting violence for some sort of thrill factor and shows that have violence in them that is a realistic reflection of history. Maybe we don't like seeing what sort of cruelty we're capable of. I'm all for movies that show the horrible reality of war. Maybe children, and adults for that matter, should see those images and be repulsed by them.

I found it very graphic - disturbing. Mind you I still get freaked out when I hear a helicopter - and that was from watching "Apocolypse Now" when it first came out all those years ago. I guess there is no way to make war anything but disturbing - that is what it is! But we don't seem to be getting any closer to peace any where in the world. Sad. TTFN Jennifer

I just don't get it... airing a show about wife swapping and its effects on the kids is OK... Jerry Springer's show is OK... but showing a movie that depicts war and happens to use a few foul words here and there is not...

I understand that many local networks opted to not show "Saving Private Ryan" as they didn't want to risk an FCC fine due to the harsh language. I also heard that the deal the director made with the networks way back was that the film was not to be edited. But in seeing the real "junk" that is on TV today, I am just amazed.

Lisa - you got that right! Just the commercials are bad enough these days! We were watching "King of Queens" the other night and my hubby made a great observation. Doug and Carrie we trying to get pregnant - very explicit. My dh said that Rob and Laura Petrie (Dick Van ###### Show - for all you younguns) and Lucy and Ricky - couldn't even have a double bed in their bedrooms. Now they are talking about ovulation and sperm and all that stuff I've forgoten I once knew about lol. Weird world - it's no wonder the kids are growing up so fast - no mystery at all. TTFN Jennifer