• Welcome Guest, Sign Up to Remove This Message!

As a member you'll be able to:

• Create a profile
    • Join the discussions
    • Create Blogs and Groups
    • Upload your cruise photos
    • Connect with other cruisers
    • Lots more

Join Today - It's FREE!

Sign in to follow this  
JohnSinik

Obsessed with Titanic?

Rate this topic

Here are ten ways to tell if you're obsessed with the Titanic...

1. When you go on a cruise, you complain that lifeboats take away the

excitement from your journey.

2. You demand a seat in first class on the Staten Island Ferry.

3. While cruising through the Carribean Sea, you are watching out for

icebergs.

4. You print out all 185 pages of the Titanic script from the internet.

5. You flush all your diamonds down the toilet.

6. Your favorite erotic toys are handcuffs and an axe.

7. You make black armbands to wear every April 14th and 15th. -Kathi

8. When you go canoeing with your friends they all start

hollering "Iceberg, Right ahead!"

9. You only shower in 28 degree water.

10. When you print this list from your page out to show everyone just how

Titanic Obsessed you really are.

As a family, we could become obsessed with shipwrecks. Our eldest daughter was born April 14th, the day Titanic hit the iceberg. Our youngest daughter was born July 26th, the day the Andrea Doria sank. Her husband shares the same birthday as our eldest daughter, April 14th.

In Alaska, I was very impressed, sailing through Disenchantment Bay, by the very loud grinding noise the ice made on the sides of the ship.

My grandson who is 7 is obsessed with the Titanic and could tell you just about anything about it. We just bought the movie for him on DVD because we had it on two VHS and now he said he can watch it all at once............I also bought him the greatest book about the Titantic and it is very age approiate for a 7 year old...

Maria, which children's book on Titanic did you buy for your son? I also know of a youngster who might like one.

Best book about Titanic (for grown-ups), IMO, is Walter Lord's "A Night to Remember." The movie of the same name is also superb. What I liked about the book, in particular, is that it related the stories of those in all three classes, as well as some crew members. It was originally published in 1955 and holds up very well today.

We have a great one also. Titanic by Leo Marriott. It is the most comprehensive book that I've ever seen on the Titanic. The pictures are just unbelievable, with phots of everything you could possibly have, with deck plans, photos of the rooms, the building of the ship , aftermath, etc. etc. etc. Although this book is more for teens and adults, this is definitely a book worth purchasing if you're really interested in this subject.

alt textalt text

I have been infatuated with the Titanic since long before the movie. Over the years, I have amassed many books, and about 30 video tapes, including several “semi-fictional movies†which pre-dated the blockbuster James Cameron version.

I have to agree with Lisa, that “A Night To Remember,†which Walter Lord published in 1955, together with “The Night Lives On,†which Lord published thirty years later, form the most comprehensive history of the ship.

alt text

A really fantastic book about her is, “Titanic; Legacy of the World’s Greatest Ocean Liner, by Susan Wells, and published by Time-Life/The Discovery Channel. It’s large, hard-cover format, hosts photos starting with her construction right through to photos of the exploration deep below the Atlantic. There are, also, dozens of pictures of recovered items, etc;

How is this for a claim to fame??

My family owned the shipyard that built the Titanic: Harland and Wolfe in Belfast!

In fact my middle name is Harland.

Of course they built her to White Star specs, so they did not get burned too badly when she went down. :undecided:

Lisa,

I got the book in Borders bookstore in the childrens department. It is a large hardcover with lots of glossy colored pictures and text that a seven year can understand.

They are called Eyewitness books and this one is simply named Titanic by Simon Adams and put out by DK publishing. There are 131 books on subjects from Ancient China to World War II and everything in between.......My husband enjoyed reading it before he wrapped it for Christmas.