• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What happens if you don't tip?

Rate this topic

ssatterly

Nothing. Until they make it a mandatory service fee (like NCL is trying to), then a tip is a tip, which just like a land based restaurant or hair dresser or taxicab, is voluntary.

Hello,

I made the mistake once of tipping the cabin steward the afternoon beofre we were to disembark......guess what....no other service until we left. I overtipped. I happened to run into him the next morning.....and without a word from me, he apologizes all over the place for not coming to do things. Pissed me off..... :huh:

FATAL ATTRACTION AT SEA…..

Dan Gallagher (Michael Douglas), in the middle of a mid life crisis, takes a cruise the the Western Caribbean. At the end of the cruise, he decides not to leave a gratuity for the Cabin Attendant, a very attractive, and sensual, Alex Forester (Glenn Close). To him it was a purely personal financial thing. Unfortunately, Alex saw it totally differently. It took no time at all for Dan to realize that he was in way over his head. Alex was not just obsessed with getting even with Dan, she was also quite psychotic.

Their little “adventure†turned into a full blown obsessive stalking by Alex of Dan. Alex followed Dan. She threatened Dan. Alex's stalkings of Dan escalated to violence and to a point in which neither of them could avoid. A disasterous ending was all that could possibly happen, and did. When Dan called Alex to tell her it was finally over and that he had reported her to Norwegian Cruise Lines....well it truly hit the fan!

alt textâ€ÂI left extra towels… I folded down the bed and left you a chocolate on the pillow… I made you little towel animals… I straightened up your cabin… and, you leave no tip!!!!â€Â

alt text

Never smile at a crocodile

No, you can't get friendly with a crocodile

Don't be taken in by his welcome grin

He's imagining how well you'd fit within his skin

Never dip your hat and stop to talk awhile

Never run, walk away, say good-night, not good-day

Clear the aisle but never smile at Mister Crocodile

You may very well be well bred

Lots ot etiquette in your head

But there's always some special case, time or place

To forget etiquette

For instance:

No, you can't get friendly with a crocodile

Don't be taken in by his welcome grin

He's imagining how well you'd fit within his skin

Never dip your hat and stop to talk awhile

Never run, walk away, say good-night, not good-day

Clear the aisle but never smile at Mister Crocodile

• 3 weeks later...

When I cruised on the Norwegian Sun in Jan. They automatically took 10$ per day per adult to tip. Also they added mandatory gratuity to every drink bill at the bar, even on soda. I didn't mind too much, because it's like 75 cents tip on a beer, I can handle that. I did tip my room attendant $20 on the last day, because he was so wonderful and gave me such personal attention during my stay. Fresh ice twice a day, kept my room very clean, didn't take any of my stuff, which to me, is worth a 20$ ..lol..

At breakfast and dinner, I would also throw a few bucks to the servers in the resteraunts.

I don't mind the mandatory tipping, but I do prefer to tip individuals. But it does make it easier than having to track down your attendant, or server, or remember their names (which are usually foreign) to write on an envelope, and who even knows if it actually gets delivered to the person.