• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
iriscruiser

Botched haircut

Rate this topic

My DH and I went to have our haircut last nite. He got a very nice cut like he wanted. I went to a salon in a very nice department store. My hair used to be about 4 inhes below my shoulders. I asked him to keep the length and give me layers, and that I wear my hair parted on the left side with feathery bangs. Now mind you I have not been in a salon in about 25 years. ( I went to beauty school and do my own hair. But wanted layers something you can't do on yourself) He put me down for shampoo and left me in the sink about 20 minutes and had someone else rinse me first off. Then someone came in that didn't like the color he gave them so he started doing a dye job on them while he was suppose to be cutting my hair. After he got dye on her hair he decided to cut my hair. No questions about what I wanted or how I wear my hair. I had already told him to keep the length and layer. He made the first cut in the back and said Did you say you wanted the length? I knew then I was screwed. Too late lets see what I get. I now have barely to my shoulder hair all one length with bangs. After he finished cutting he sprayed some stiff sticky stuff in my hair and put me under the dryer, to bring out my curls. He said I have slight wave he wanted to bring out. Yeah my hair is naturally curly. In the summer with humidity I have natural Shirley Temple ringlets. In the winter just slight wave. It is also baby fine and thin. It only looks thick when its humid out. I came home in tears as you can imagine a week and a half from my cruise. I don't know what to do. I am so disapointed and upset. Do I try somewhere else for layers or forget it? This is why I have done my own hair for the last 30 years. Help please I need opinions.

Thanks for letting me vent. :cry: :huh: :undecided:

Iris-

Not to panic!!!!

Right now, you are dismayed by two factors.

First of all, your new hairdo is not, at all, what you wanted and expected. You had a specific image in your mind, and the stylist created a completely different 'work of art...'

Secondly, you look in the mirror, and don't like what you're seeing. The length is wrong; the style is wrong; and the shape is wrong! Or, is it "wrong" because you're not used to it? it's a different look than what you wanted and expected...

OK, so what's next?

I'd give it a few days, to get used to it, before deciding to make any more changes. Since you know what your doing, try to brush it out in different ways, and see if you grow to like it. If not, a quick run to the salon, and a quick fix! Only, this time, I'd go to a professional salon, and not a department store.

The thousands of passengers on your cruise have never met you, and don't know what your "usual" hairstyle is, so they will not notice the big change!

Remember, it could be worse....

alt text

OK - first off, you were screwed. :angry: He should have been paying attention to YOU - not the walk in with the problem with the color job. At that point, leaving you sitting in the chair while dealing with the walk in, I would have walked to the front desk, asked for the manager, tell them what has happened and say you want a different stylist or you are leaving - your time is valuable too. But that is me.

What to do now........I think Jeff is right. Take a couple of days and experiment with the cut and try styling it different ways. You may want to consider getting the layers put in, but realize they will be shorter than you are used to - don't know if that would make a difference to you or not. And layers take maintenance - even if you grow them out eventually, it is a longer process than just regrowing one length hair. The only good thing about this situation is that hair does grow back! :)

Thank you Jeff and Lisa for your input. I slept on it took a shower and tried to work with it. DH and I went back to town. This time He chose a salon for me. I got the layers put in with no more length taken off. And he evened the uneven sides out. My hair is baby fine soft and curly. So now when I blow it with a round brush up it creates a fuller look in the back. Yes it is about 5 inches shorter than I wanted. But I can live with it because thank goodness hair grows back. I called the department store salon manager to complain but it is her day off. I will do that tommorrow. Well at least I like what I now have. Thanks again. :grin:

Lisa you don't know how close I came to walking out when he just left me sitting in the chair. But I held my temper cuz DH really wanted this for me (not the botch job) And I promised I would go thru with it. It was all the more trumatic because I don't go and haven't been to a salon in 25 years, and to I was quite nervous to begin with, than to get a botch job and no attention. Lets just say DH had his hands full cuz I cried all the way home.

First off - relax. What I generally do when I get a bad cut is get it steaked a few days later - then it looks intentional - a total different me. I get all my work done at the local beauty school and have a great time and it's cheap. The instructors do most of the work - and I do not let them touch my bangs - or they get way too short. Now you have it all fixed up I bet it looks great. Layers are easy to maintain - and that's what you want - especially on vacation. After you get used to it - apart from the initial "mirror" shock first thing in the morning - it may grow on you - pun intended. Please don't let it put a damper on your cruise - you have been looking forward to it for so long. Now post a photo of the new do - then we can all tell you how gorgeous you look - if our opinion counts lol. ttfn Jennifer

Boy can I ever relate.I have had it styled nicely got a few months now and went back to the one that did it the way I like it the last time. I even showed her a picture. My hair was your length also. I wanted feathered and layered again also and after she finished it did not even touch my shoulders and chopped up very uneven. I could barely get it into a ponytail. I was too upset to even cry. So I decided that I would use a clip on ponytail until it grew out. I have been trimming it myself and it does not look horrible, but I am not so sure how soon I will be going to another salon, and certainly not the one I went to that day. I say play with different styles before you do anything drastic.

April...

I'm so sorry that you went through that, but I'm happy that you got it styled in a much better way. I have been debating, myself, whether to go in to a salon or do it myself.

Just like you, I usually cut and style it myself. It saves us a lot of money. I used to have a couple of girls in the past that I liked, but I haven't been to them in awhile, and they are no longer with the salons that I went to.

I know that I can get it to look pretty decent, but I wanted to put a little color in just to cover some grey(going on 57 you know)and bring back the shine. I usually do a pretty good job of cutting it, but the last time I didn't do so well, and I have been debating on whether I should go in and have them just even it out a bit and get some color or do it all myself. After what you just went through, I think that I might do it myself. I already cut mine a little shorter than I want it, so I only want a trim, and I know some will cut too much off.

I always think that it would be fun to get a cute trendy type hair cut, but, there have only been a few in past years who have really done a good job with my hair, and I don't want to get it too short, especially with the cold Minnesota winter ahead.

I'm glad that things worked out for you. I would go back to the salon and tell them what happened, and ask for your money back since you had to go elsewhere to have it fixed. They may give you a hard time about it and say that you should have had it done there, but stand your ground. Good Luck!

April - first of all, I am glad that you got it fixed to your satisfaction. As you know the overall length is not affected by layers, but unless you intend to upkeep the current cut (even at a longer length) it will take a trim every 6 - 8 weeks to keep the layers looking good. And when you decide to grow it out, it is a pain in the neck!!!! I ahve baby fine and thin hair, on top it is I am losing some of it, so I know what you are going through. I have found a stylist who I love - if she leaves I am going with her, if she retires, I do not know what I will do! I have very weird hair that actually shortens when it dries.....the first time she cut it, she did not believe me, but she saw it happen....that first cut was on her after I was a little dismayed, but she has been my stylist ofr 4 years now and she knows my hair and my likes and dislikes. She has even helped me slowly adjust to a style that is much more favorable to my type of hair. I love her!!!!

Shari and April.....asked around your friends and accquaintances - don't be shy about asking who their sylist is! Get recommendations. Stylists love referrals!!!

Shari

Thanks fore all your kind words and concerns. I am happy with my hair now even tho it is so short. Now when dry it is only to my shoulders. DH likes it tho. Because my hair is so baby fine and thin I need the layers to make it look full. The stylist used ony the blow dryer on it, but said curling iron would work well. Now I can't decide weather to take my brush curling iron, the regular curling iron or the hot rollers on the cruise. I am off from work tommorrow so I will color my gray hairs. I am so glad I had the professional training so many years ago because at least I know somewhat of what I am doing. I am only 44 but have alot of gray(premature graying runs in my family) I am just not ready for gray hair.

SailingLisa..............All hair shrinks when it dries, its why you always cut longer then you want. Ever do your own bangs when wet you make them perfect, when they are dry they shrink to nothing? My baby fine hair is thin, not thinning and natural curly so I have to be real careful and the layers make it look so much fuller. Thanks again

PS Shari...........I definetly will follow rhru on reporting to the salon manager of the botched job. Funny thing was I paid more there for a botch job then I did for the repair work. Funny how some people think they are Haute Couture on the runway.