• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
hazelson

Classi Christmas Movies

Rate this topic

Ok - now the official Christmas countdown has begun - what is your all time favourite Christmas Movie? MIne is the "original and un-colourized" version of "Miracle on 34th Street". IMHO they have spoiled them by colourizing - but all things change - sigh! TTFN Jennifer

My favorite has always been The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant, Loretta Young, and David Niven. I can watch it every time it's on. :wink:

Howard

I have 2 real favorites, A Christmas Carol with Alaistair Sim and Bing Crosby in Going My Way. They must also be shown in Black and Whitel. I tried to watch Bing in color but it just wasn't the same.

Oh, where to start? Humorous category: National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and The Christmas Story (the one about the boy who wants a bee bee gun....). Drama category: It's A Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol (with George C. Scott).

One to watch this year: Christmas with the Kranks (based on the novel Skipping Christmas.)

I don't have to think twice about this one....

Jean Shepard was one of my favorites, on radio (Yes, I'm that old...), and I loved to listen to him every Sunday night, ay midnight. His "A Christmas Story" has to be my all-time favorite!

"And what do you want for Christmas little boy?" ahhh an all too simple question for some, but for Ralphie Parker it was only the beginning of his fight in getting a "Red Rider Carbin Action 200 Range Air Rifle with a compass, in the stock, and 'this thing that tells time.' "

alt text

The story fellows the adventures of a young boy set against the Christmas holiday in the 1940’s as he dreams of the perfect holiday gift. Ralphie Parker is like any other typical young boy in the 1940’s but there is something that does set him apart from the rest of the pack. His aspirations for an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle, the one item that he believes to be the perfect Christmas present. Unfortunately for young Ralphie, he faces stern opposition from his mother who believes the toy will “shoot his eye outâ€Â. He receives no help from his father who is too busy holding off the Bumbus hounds or shouting at the furnace, so Ralphie seeks to find higher help for his cause, the big man himself: Santa Claus. But even this last splint of hope is dashed to pieces with those devastating words coming from the “jolly†fat man himself, “You’ll shoot your eye out, kid.†All hope seems lost for poor Ralphie but if only he knew what Christmas Day would bring! The plot for A Christmas Story is one of the most wonderful concepts ever attempted in a holiday feature film and what makes it so memorable is the fact that many elements, no matter how elaborated, can be related by one family or another in some point in their lives.

Christmas Vacation is one of my favourites. Jim Carrey's The grinch wasn't bad for a Jim Carrey movie, although I still prefer the cartoon version. For the sentimental favourite, last year Rob Lowe was in "The Christmas Shoes", where the boy wants to get his dying mother this special pair of shoes for Christmas.