• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Insurance........yes or no?

Rate this topic

MikeNBec

I don't buy the travel insurance so much for cancellation or delays or lost luggage (but those are nice bennies) - I book it for the medical coverage and the evacuation insurance. I don't know about you, but if I fell and broke my leg or hip, or suffered a heart attack and had to be med-evaced to the nearest hospital, I could not afford the tens of thousands of dollars that it costs...and I know that my stateside health insurance will NOT cover that. Better safe than sorry.

Yes, we never purchase a cruise without it. And, we make sure to buy the insurance within a week of initial payment for the cruise in order to have coverage for pre-existing conditions.

My in-laws just had to cancel a cruise as my MIL needs to have surgery a week prior. Thank goodness they had insurance. They will get a full refund, even though they had already made final payment.

Like Lisa, I am actually more concerned with the trip interruption portion. You never know when an accident can derail your cruise. It's worth the relatively small expense for me. Put into perspective, we spend more on tips for our family of three.

Note that you have other travel insurance options than just the policy offered through the cruise line. We now go with third-party insurance for its cost and more comprehensive coverage.

We always use insurance and have from our first cruise. Like everyone said, there are just too many reasons to have it. WE have never had to use it, but the first time will convince me that I was correct in getting it.

Welcome to CruiseCrazies. This is a great board.

Howard

It looks like most of you purchase the insurance. Next question is... Where/Who do you purchase the insurance from? For our family of five, thru the travel agent insurnce will be about $200 total. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

live2ski

We always buy the insurance. It gives us peace of mind.

In fact, my dad passed away last year , 3 weeks before he was supposed to cruise with my mom. Because they had the cruise insurance, Mom got back the majority of Dad's cost of the trip.

sailinglisa,

Thanks so much for the website. We will definitely be looking into that . We have always purchased the insurance from the agent. Welcome , MikeNBec