• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
DaCruzNut

Found family on the net...

Rate this topic

My research into my family roots, on the net, has been moderately successful, although many of the records were lost, and destroyed, during WWII.

My maternal grandfather, Louis Arnstein, who arrived in 1905, used to talk about his birthplace, Jubarkas (Yurburg), Lithuania. He had one brother, Israel Arenstein (damn Ellis Island workers couldn't spell....), who came to the United States in 1906.

They left their parents, a sister and two brothers behind, and we never really knew what happened to them. My great-grandfather, Jacob, died before the war, and the family was aware of this. In fact, I am named for him. We just assumed that the rest opf the family had been murdered by the Nazis.

My search not only answered the question as to what happened to them, but provided me with a photo! Unfortunately, they were all massacred by the Nazis, in July, 1941. Anyway, at last I know what happened, and, thankfully, have the picture....

alt text

My great-grandmother, Tsvia, and great grandfather, Jacob, are in the front row. In the back row, My uncles, Yudl and Moritz, and my Aunt Dora.

I also found a man, in Chicago, who worked with my aunt, at a bank in Yurburg, and have spoken to him!

Congrats on finding your roots. Its not easy trying to trace things back that far, I've been trying to do so for years. My grandfather was a secretive man and did some strange things while he was alive. All we really know is he was adopted but can't find any of his original information as the records were burned in a fire.

Fortunately we did trace a lot of my husbands family via a distant cousin.