• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sea sickness...dramamine, shots........??????

Rate this topic

MikeNBec

I get sick in most things that move including elevators. On the fist cruise we took, we went through a hurricane. I used the patch and had zero problems. I haven't been on a cruise without it since. My wife, on the other hand, swears by Bonine. As far as I can tell, they both work. Less drowsiness with Bonine than Dramamine.

Howard

I have suffered from motion sickness since childhood, though much less now. I take pure ginger caps and they work great with no side effects like drowsiness and ginger is good for you, besides. You have to play around with the dosage to find what works for you, but start with one cap about an hour before being in motion and figure it out from there as to how quickly it kicks in for you and how long it lasts. I found that I didn't feel sick on my cruise, so can't say what the effects of popping ginger all day would be, but it is supposed to be good for the circulation, so....Maybe take dramamine or something like that before bed or before the afternoon snooze and take ginger the rest of the time.

I have had what I call "sea to land sickness". I made the mistake of not taking that first day after the cruise off from work, and the whole building was moving on me, and the funny thing is, i was never sick on the ship and hardly noticed it moving at all...but then i'm sure all the foo foo drinks I had, sure helped me not notice my "sea legs"...lol!! It did take a few days for it to go completely away, but you know, it's totally worth it....i will try the dramamine after I get back this time if I have the same symptoms.

i did use the patch but had too many adverse side affects. Like, I really could not see anything not even 4 inches from my face, and I have 20/20 vision. I couldn't even read the box to see the side effects of the motion sickness patches...had to call the boat doctor..so once I removed it, i was back to normal, but it didn't affect my good time...drown those side effects with beer..lol..

Fortunately, I don't have a real problem with seasickness, but have been on two cruises where I definately needed something to help, in rough seas. Most recently, aboard the Regal Empress, a small ship, we hit high seas (20 +/-), leaving Miami.

alt text

I used the elastic seasickness bands, and they worked wonders! About 20 minutes after putting them on, I was ready for dinner! They, apparently, work on acupuncture points, and have a snall, plastic, button that puts slight pressure on your wrists. No drugs; no side effects; and, you can drink all you want with no adverse effect!

I also use the acupressure wrist bands described by Jeff. I discovered them when I was pregnant 12 years ago, and couldn't take dramamine. Eating apples also seems to help.

Should you decide on the patch, try it out before your cruise to make sure you don't experience any nasty side effects. Better to find out before you are on the cruise. :smiley:

I also suffer from motion sickness. :sealedlips: The two times we went to Mexico from LA I sufered on the way back and used the patch. Unfortunately last time the side effects from the patch were bad. (it is what happens as you get older). This year in the Carribean I am using Bonine and the bands. I don't have as many problems on the calmer seas.

Marthbro

(I thought this might be of additional interest....)

alt text

"These are acupressure point therapy wrist bands. Sea Band® is one trade name. Most people discount this remedy because it "sounds" like a gimmick. Adjustable and reusable, one size fits all, wrist bands use a Velcro type strap or elastic band. Pressure is applied with the use of a polished, .25" x .55" dia, hemisphere magnet which is permanently bonded to the band. Though some may be skeptical of this ancient Chinese practice, there are many patients who swear by it. The nice thing about this remedy is that it can be added along with any of the other remedies without conflicting with them. These bands slip on over the hands and tighten over pressure points in the palm side of the wrist. If you try any type pressure bands, be sure to put them on before you climb aboard."