• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

1st question-18 YO allowed to drink?

Rate this topic

elle

ok so already I have question # 1. Im sure I can come up with one a day until the cruise on Feb. 5th. Son will turn 18 on Jan 5th. It says no serving 21 and under while in port. But it does say while in international waters he can be served. Now don't be thinking Im gonna let the boy get sloshed LOL....better to be with him when he has a couple beers. But what is considered"international waters" when it comes to the Eastern Carribean?? Thanks in advance !! :grin:

elle,

I thought you had to be 21 to be served alchohol on the ship. If I'm wrong, somebody correct me please.

We'll be very happy to answer as many questions as you can come up with, elle. That's what we're here for, so ask away. Remember to post your cruise date and birthday to our CruiseCrazies calendar. It's great to see you posting and great to have you aboard. :cool: Cheryl

I don't know about other cruise lines, but on RCI you can buy beer and wine if you are aged 18 prior to the cruise. International waters have nothing to do with it, it's cruise line policy that rules.

We are taking our grandson on a cruise, along with his family, for his graduation. We have timed it so that he will be 18 the week before he gets on the ship. That way he will be able to buy beer and wine, no hard liquor.

A quote from RC 2005-2006 cruise vacation planner......." RCI will not serve alcoholic beverages while a vessel is at sea to guest under 21 years of age. The parent or legal guardian of a guest who is from 18-20 years of age may sign a waiver permitting such guest be served beer or wine while in international waters. We refuse the right to sell alcoholic beverages to anyone. An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation. RC reserves the right to limit or refuse alcoholic beverages to be brought aboard the ship for consumption during the cruise vacation".

wow, they really leave themselves wide open on things. Seems a bit political to say they can either limit or refuse. Wish they would decide which one.

Question #2.. I see you are now able to purchase your excursion tickets on-line. Anyone else done this and is it a smart thing to do. Also when it says excursion time does it mean 3 1/2 hours from leaving the ship to returning to ship. We port in Nassau day 1 7:00-1:00, was looking to do the dolphin swim excursion {$110.00 pp}space is limited. Thanks again ahead of time!!

Regarding the drinking age, my understanding is that the 18 year old's cruise card is marked someway to identify that they can order alcohol and it's done at check in during the boarding procedure. I think that once the ship has cleared the port, the staff will consider it to be in "International Waters".

A 3 1/2 hour excursion usually means dock to dock.

We always book on line if we no that we want to take a particular ship's excursion. They do sell out and it's nice not to have to run around on your first day, you can checkout the ship instead. You can bet the dolphin excursion will sell out.

I've booked online at RCI many times. Excellent for those excursions that fill up quickly like the Dolphin Encounters.

RCI punches holes in their ship cards concerning alcohol. 2 punches no drinking. 1 punch beer and wine only. No punches free to do as you please.

My daughter will be turning 18 the week before our Mother/Daughter cruise. We planned it exactly that way.

The USA is one of the few countries in the world that has such a high drinking age. Most of the rest of the world especially Europe, the drinking age is 18. If you allow an 18 year old the responsibility of voting, joining the miitary and possibly fighting in a war, then why the hang-up over alocohol? Most American youths don't know how to handle drinking in moderation partly because of the "forbidden fruit" attitude. To the best of my knowledge, RCI are the only cruise line that will serve alcohol to 18 year olds. Good for them!

fascot, I so agree with you. Here in Canada it is different in each province, where we live in BC the drinking age is 19, it is 18 in Alberta. I think it is wierd that the US sends 18 yr olds to war yet doesn't think they are responsible enought to drink.

As far as I know the US does not have a better record regarding drinking and driving or alcohol related deaths for their youth, then any of the other countries with drinking ages of 18 or 19.

Teaching personal responsibity has little to do with age and alot to do with a parents and societies willingness to do the work!

PS Beer and wine are just as bad as hard liqour so that is really a silly rule, if I was an 18 yr old girl I'd want to order a nice drink with an umbrella in it! Beer and wine are the same amount of alcohol drink for drink as hard liqour so I don't quite get the reasoning.