• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

2004 News in Review

Rate this topic

As the year 2004 is coming to an end (wow does time really fly by!!!), I thought it'd be cool to make our own little list of the biggest news events of 2004:

I'll start by llisting a few...

Hurricane Season '04

Shaq Attack

The Lack of Hockey

The Death of Ronald Reagan

I think that the passing of Ronald Reagan was a very significant event. The poise and elegance of Nancy Reagan left a deep impression.

Of course 2004 will always be remembered for the devastating tsunami in Asia. The bombing of the Madrid subway will pale in comparison, but will be no less devastating for those involved.

On the judicial side, it had some high profile cases. Martha Stewart, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jackson and Scott Peterson. Enough said.

We also lost several Hollywood stars, Marlon Brando, Tony Randall, Anne Miller, Artie Shaw and Jerry Orbach. I know I left out a lot of others, but forgive me, I getting old and remember those that I enjoyed.

The Olympics were a let down. In baseball I'm frustrated that the commisioner doesn't have the backbone to resolve the steroid problem. However, even though I'm a complete Man United fanatic, I applaude Arsenal's record breaking run of 49 games unbeaten in the English Premier League. Of course, it was Man United that ended their streak.

On a personal note, 2004 was a year of ups and downs, fortunately more ups than downs.

We cruised twice, once from San Juan to San Diego through the Panama Canal and then from Barcelona into the Med and the Greek Islands. Both were very good cruises, except that on the PC cruise, Moneypenny's sister died, back in England, and we were unable to find out about it until it was too late to do anything, like attend the funeral.

This week, Tuesday, we celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary. We have known each other for 51 years and we had a great time reliving the past and asking the "what if's". Do any of you ever do that, what if we hadn't done this or that?

We just hope that the next 47 years are as good as the last 47.

This time 47 years ago we were in Paris on our honeymoon. Today we are in beautiful Bear Valley Springs, California, with our grandkids and some of their friends. Life is so unpredictable, but so fulfilling.

Happy anniversary, jbond and spouse! 47 years... lots to celebrate.

As far as news stories, I agree that the recent earthquake and tsunami affecting parts of Asia and Africa will be talked about for years to come, for a number of reasons. First, there is the vast number of people affected by it -- already, the death toll is up to 120,000 and is expected to climb in the coming weeks. Second is the outpouring of support from all over the world. Too bad it took an event of this magnitude to show that we can all put our differences aside and unite to help those truly in need. JMHO.

alt text

I believe that the major news story of 2004, is the Sumatra Earthquake, and ensuing Tsunami.

The death toll from this disaster is presently at 120,000, and rising! It will, most likely, exceed the 140,000 people killed by the Atomic Bomb, in Hiroshima.

That is quite a gif. Watching it move was fascinating. The way the tsunami swept around the southern tip of Sri Lanka an crashed into the western coast of the island was awesome. I'm going to visit the website that the gif came from to see if there is more info. Thanks for posting it.