• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Regal Empress Is Top Producer at Port Everglades

Rate this topic

Jason

The Regal Empress, one of the smallest multi-day cruise ships operating out of Port Everglades, is delivering big dollars for the port as the top cruise line revenue producer for fiscal year 2004.

According to the Port Everglades Passenger Ship Revenue & Volume Report, the 1,190-passenger ship generated $2.8 million in revenues for fiscal year ending September.

Owned and operated by Imperial Majesty Cruise Line, the Regal Empress offers Florida's only two-night cruise to Nassau, and sails from Port Everglades every other day year-round. The ship, launched in 1953 as the Olympia, also carried a total of 246,000 cruise passengers from the port in 2004, the port's second highest total for a cruise ship. (SY)

I wish my family and I could have made the pax total jump to 246,003...

Very possibly, this ship will be in our plans for 2005. We enjoyed our Canada/New England onboard Regal Empress a few years ago when she was with Regal Cruises.

alt text

I sailed on the regal Empress both when she was the "Caribe I" and under her present name. Missed out on sailing her as the "Olympia."

She's a great old ship. Not like todays "neon/chrome/mirror" glitz, she's decked out in teak, mahogany & brass.

My favorite spot is the enclosed Promenade Deck. With enormous picture windows, facing the sea; overstuffed love seats; potted and hanging basket tropical foliage; and peace & quiet!

The best part is the price! Fares for the two-night cruise start at $149.99 p.p ($129.00 for Florida Residents-"off season"), it's a bargain!

I would love to try the Regal Empress for a quick getaway. The only thing that's stopping us is concern over whether or not my almost 13 year old daughter would be able to find other kids to hang out with. Does anyone know what the situation is on the Regal Empress with kids in that age category because if she's miserable, of course, we'll end up miserable too. :huh:

I have a solution, Cheryl -- we can go at the same time. My son's 11.

The Empress has a kids program, but there's no kids room as there is on modern ships. According to the Imperial Majesty Web site, the kids program runs through age 12. I don't recall if it was the same on our cruise -- and things may have changed since then. I do remember that the teens would meet somewhere and then hang out to go to a movie, have a pizza, play ping pong, etc.