• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Once and for all: the FOOD

Rate this topic

thomas

As a new member to this board, I'm sure this post has come up. But I am now ready to try a new line, (Alaska summer 05) and food is important. My question is: Would you all say that the food scene is basically the same as say, 4 or 5 years ago? If not, then which lines have improved and which have declined?

Specifics: I have cruised Norwegian, HAL, RCI, and Royal Olympic. At this time I am not really considering the Radisson / Crystal level of cruising, but rather am interested in the major players. I think most would seem to agree that Celebrity rules in this category, but is it indeed true that Carnival has made alot of improvement, while Princess is slipping downhill? I was actually very unimpressed with the cuisine aboard the HAL Maasdam two years ago. Looked great, flawlessly presented, but....basically no taste at all. It seems that everything on that ship was toned down for the geriatric set or something (I am a thirty-something) That seems a lousy thing to say - such a stereotype - but I think you know what I mean.

Anyway, what do you think about the "new and improved" Carnival? Can RCI still do it? Is Princess a player? Tell all!

thomas

Hi Thomas, Welcome to Cruise Crazies and Happy New Year!

I haven't been on Carnival in years, and I haven't been on Hal, RCCL, or Princess, but I did just get back from the Infinity of Celebrity Lines, and I can tell you that the food was wonderful there. I have a review posted in the review section if you want to read it.

I think the food is a very personal thing. But, having said that, I would have to say the Celebrity and Princess food is very good. Loved the food on the Sun Princess last month. I have had some of the best food, consistently, on Carnival ships. The week we were on Sensation several years ago, she had been voted by passengers as the best food in Carnival several weeks running, beating out even the new ships. The food on Carnival Legend was superb, and the food in the supper club was the best, and the best presentation, of any meal afloat in 20 cruises. HAL is okay, but not the tops. Same for NCL. RCCL has great ships....and mediocre food, IMO.

My personal favorite, as far as the food, is Celebrity. I have never had any single food item on Celebrity that wasn't, at the very least, very good, and many choices were excellent. the service was, also, superb.

My second favorite is Princess, which is a VERY close second. Princess has a greater variety than Celebrity and is top notch!

My third choice? (Don't laugh....) Carnival! My first cruise was aboard Carnival, 16 years, and 58 cruises, ago. The food, then, was mediocre, at best! Carnnival has made major efforts to improve their food, over the years, and has made excellent progress.

I have to agree with you, about HAL. I found the food to be tasteless and bland.

I was also very disappointed with the food on Royal Caribbean, which, coincidentally, owns Celebrity... After three Royal caribbean cruises, I have sworn off that particular line!

Only one cruise aboard Costa was enough to last a lifetime!

Now, if they'd only bring back Dolphin Cruise Line, or Commodore Cruise Line, we'd have a real horse race.

(By the way, Majesty Cruise Lines, which has one, tiny, ship, the Regal Empress, has surprisingly good food, especially for a 'budget cruise.')

I'm from a food city - Vancouver and am really a bit a of a foodie. I sailed on HAL last May to Alaska. The quality of the food was all over the place. I had the best steak but the worst King Crab Legs. Great buffet breakfast and horrid Mother's Day brunch. Desserts always good except for the baked Alaska. Over all, the food is good, given that they have to serve so many people in a short time.

I've only cruised Carnival and love the food. But then, I'm not very particular. I can always find something I like - gee, maybe that's why I always have some weight to lose. :wink:

Welcome aboard, CaptTuna and Thomas. Hope to see you posting often and hope to get to know you. alt text

Celebrity had excellent beef. Better then any other line I've sailed and if you like meat then they are first class.

RCI's food is hit and miss depending on the ship. I've never really complained about the food until my recent trip on the Jewel. The food just wasn't up to par with what I'm used to from RCI.

Please take into consideration that the head chef is the one that controls the taste of the food and in the case of the Jewel he failed, but I've always found RCI to my liking and hope to continue to do so.