• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
DaCruzNut

The Bermuda Triangle

Rate this topic

I recently watched another of those “the Bermuda Triangle will get you†movies, and, as usual, all sorts of mysterious, and frightening, things were happening to those poor souls who got trapped in this mysterious anomaly. All those “true,†and inexplicable. horrors that those unfortunate individuals had to face are a warning to stay as far from this geographic variance in time-space as possible!

The Bermuda Triangle is a stretch of the Atlantic Ocean bordered by a line from Florida to the islands of Bermuda, to Puerto Rico and then back to Florida.

alt text

We have all heard the stories of the disappearances of an entire squadron of TBM Avengers shortly after take off from Fort Lauderdale and traceless sinking of USS Cyclops and Marine Sulphur Queen. There are countless other stories of “unexplained phenomena†surrounding the area.

Is there a real “mystery,†or just a bunch of “folk tales?â€Â

Almost fifty million passengers fly into, and out of, Miami International, and Fort Lauderdale International, airports, annually. Add to this the number of “pleasure boaters. Approximately six million passengers, per year, sail from the Port of Miami, and Port Everglades. Each and every one of those passengers goes directly into, and through, the “Bermuda Triangle. I don’t remember any planes, or ships, disappearing lately.

The population of the Bahamas resides within the Traingle bondaries, as well as a number of people on Florida’s east coast. Not too many have simply disappeared, that I can recall.

Scientists have noted that there is a magnetic disturbance, in the area, and that compasses do not point due (magnetic) north. However, this interruption also occurs in an area called the "Devil's Sea" by Japanese and Filipino seamen, located off the east coast of Japan.

Many theories have been given to explain the extraordinary mystery of these missing ships and planes. Evil extraterrestrials, residue crystals from Atlantis, evil humans with anti-gravity devices or other weird technologies, and vile vortices from the fourth dimension are favorites among fantasy writers. Strange magnetic fields and oceanic flatulence (methane gas from the bottom of the ocean) are favorites among the technically-minded.

What do you think?

I think they're mostly stories, Jeff! Ships sail through there all the time, and my husband flew in Navy sea planes over there for almost 3 years. There are quite a few stories about Lake Superior, too. It makes for interesting reading, though!