• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Tamara

Vegas, baby!!!

Rate this topic

A while back, I'd mentioned that my friend Kathleen and I were looking for a destination for her 50th birthday party for January 13th. As always, the Cruise Crazies came up with some good suggestions. We've chosen Las Vegas. We're staying at the Stardust, an older Vegas hotel, as we wanted a sort of "faded grandeur" theme, in keeping with the 50th birthday, so didn't want to stay at any of the newer hotels. We considered the Sahara, but there were too many bad reviews of it lately at tripadvisor.com. And anyway, the older hotels are a bit cheaper and then we can spend the money we save buying shoes at the many outlet malls there. We're arriving Thursday at mid afternoon, will do whatever that day. Hmmm, drinking and gambling, maybe. Shopping at outlet malls on Friday, Grand Canyon helicopter trip on Saturday and we hope for some light hiking if possible. Fabulous dinner for Kathleen's birthday on Saturday night. Try to take it easy on Sunday as fly back late evening and I have school first thing Monday morning. I haven't been to Vegas for twenty years and can't wait to see all of the changes. I'm going to try and talk Kathleen into seeing the Wayne Newton show. Once before I die I have to hear him sing Dankeschein. I'm crazy for that horrid song. That vintage black sequined jacket that I bought for the cruise last May is going to Vegas. I wonder if its previous owner showed that jacket as good a time? Did she wear it to a fun dinner or was it a totally boring corporate event? Anyway, me and my sequins are steppin' out

Enjoy your trip - it's impossible not to have a great time in Vegas. If you like sequins you have to check out the Liberace Museum - your jacket will feel right at home lol. Vegas is where I went for my 50th and I plan on doing it for my 100th as well :O) Heck - even hit a good macine at the airport!!! ttfn Jennifer

Tamara,

I hope you and your friend have a great weekend in Vegas. Happy Birthday to her. :grin: That jacket of yours is going to be quite a memory maker. Enjoy all that you have planned and I hope you get to see Wayne. By the way, I heard on the radio that there will be a new tv show coming soon , called the Entertainer, in which Wayne will be choosing from several contestants, who he thinks can fill his shoes, or boots or whatever. Cheryl :cool:

Vegas rocks!! There was too much to see and do. We couldn't make a commitment to anything and didn't have time to see everything. We lost all focus. Gambled a bit, didn't win big or break even, but did well enough that it was cheap entertainment. I didn't excel at gambling, but won big in the shopping department! Those new big hotels are amazing. If I had mega bucks I would stay at the Venetian. The Stardust was an excellent value, better than we expected. Kathleen had never been to Vegas before and now she wants to go at least once a year.

You go girl - good to hear you had fun. Vegas is so awesome - we are planning to go in September for our 10th anniversary - provided the pet sitter is available :o).

We went on our honeymoon and have been several times since but we have not yet seen everything. Did you use the new monorail? ttfn Jennifer

The momorail is a good way to get around, but the stop nearest our hotel would require a walk through a not very populated block so we didn't use it to get home. You get free beaded Mardi Gras style necklaces for using the monorail.

Saturday saw many brides in full regalia. We were having a yard long Margarita in a bar in the Luxor and this bride in white dress and veil came in, sat at the bar and said, 'I need a big drink, I'm getting married in an hour". Everyone in the place offered to buy her one. I think she was probably in good shape by the time of the nuptials.

Wayne Newton was on vacation when we were there. Instead it was Steve Lawrence and Edie Gorme. We didn't go see them. I remember watching them on the variety shows when I was a kid in the 60's. 40 years later, they don't look much different in their photos.