• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
sailinglisa

Bob Marley to be exhumed and reburied in Ethiopia?

Rate this topic

Wait a minute. Bob Marley is dead? How come I'm not kept up to date on these things.

I have been fortunate enough to have visited Bob Marley’s “final†resting place, at Nine Mile, Jamaica.

alt text

The visit is a very moving experience, and his memory is treated with great reverence. In fact, you must take your shoes off to walk on this “hallowed ground;†Bob’s birthplace, and “final†resting place.

His crypt is located in a chapel, built on the property, and he is interred there with his brother (..shot by a Miami police officer…) and a place reserved for his mother.

I don’t know what’s behind the proposed removal of Bob’s remains to Ethiopia. Strangely, Rastafari, Bob’s religion, is not Ethiopian! It was born in Jamaica, and is not widely practiced in Ethiopia.

I think the people of Jamaica, and Bob’s mother, here in Miami, would fight this move.

Either way, we just have to keep Bob’s own words in mind….

"Don't worry about a thing,

'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.

: "Don't worry about a thing,

'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"

Rise up this mornin',

Smiled with the risin' sun,

Three little birds

Pitch by my doorstep

Singin' sweet songs

Of melodies pure and true,

Sayin', "This is my message to you-ou-ou:"

"Don't worry 'bout a thing,

'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."

Singin': "Don't worry (don't worry) 'bout a thing,

'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"

Im with ya Dan.....I didnt know he was dead either...wow and he has been gone a long time...Maybe we are thinking aout his "son" because I know I have some of his music also.... well Bob....rest in peace!!!!

The story in our paper today said that Rastafarians are or were pretty numerous in the area of Ethiopia that he is being moved to.

Rastafarianism's followers, known as Rastafarians or Rastas, believe that Ras Tafari (Haile Selassie I, last emperor of Ethiopia) remains a living messiah who will lead the world's peoples of African descent into a promised land of full emancipation and divine justice. The term Rastafari comes from Emperor Selasi's pre-coronation name, Prince Ras Tafar Makonen.

Rastafarianism is a strongly syncretic Abrahamic religion. Rastas believe that they, and the rest of the black race, are descendants of one of the ancient twelve tribes of Israel. In the 10th century BC, Ethiopia was founded by Menelik I, the son of Solomon and the Queen of Sheba, who had visited Solomon in Israel. 1 Kings 10:13 claims "And king Solomon gave unto the queen of Sheba all her desire, whatsoever she asked, beside that which Solomon gave her of his royal bounty. So she turned and went to her own country, she and her servants." (KJV) Rastas interpret this as meaning she conceived his child. That black Jews have lived in Ethiopia for centuries, disconnected from the rest of Judaism by Muslim control of the Middle East and northern Africa, is uncontroversial; they are called Falashas; the existence of Falashas gave some credence and impetus to early Rastafarianism, as it seemed to validate the belief that Ethiopia was Zion. Some Rastafarians choose to classify their religion as Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity, Protestant Christianity, or Judaism. Some Israeli Rastas even consider themselves Islamic-Rastas. Of those, the ties to the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church are most widespread, though discussed controversially in the clergy. Rastafarians believe that standard translations of the Bible represent changes created by the racist white power structure. They also revere the Ethiopian national epic, the Kebra Negast.

To further confuse the issue of classifying Rastafarianism, one type of religious gathering (grounation) is similar in many ways to Jewish services, and may have descended from African-American slaves who converted to Judaism -- a number of Jews in the southern USA owned slaves -- and escaped to Jamaica. Some early elements of Rastafarianism were closely related to indigenous religions of the Caribbean and Africa, though they were largely purged by the Nyahbinghi warriors, dreadlocked Rastas who fought the corrupting power of some leaders who added these syncretistic elements to the Rastafarian doctrines.

Many Rastas believe that Jah (God) has had three incarnations. Melchizedek, Jesus, and finally Haile Selassie, the ultimate embodiment of Jah, were each saviors. Some also believe that the god of the white race is actually Satan.

For many Rastas, smoking marijuana is a spiritual act; they consider it a sacrament which facilitates consciousness and peacefulness, bringing them closer to God. Dreadlocked mystics, often ascetic, have smoked cannabis in India for centuries. The migration of many thousands of Indian Hindus to the Caribbean in the twentieth century brought this culture to Jamaica.

Rastas are immortalists who believe the chosen few will continue to live forever in their current bodies.