• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
hazelson

Owwwww!

Rate this topic

Ok Crazies, I need sympathy and lots of it! I started physio therapy today for my broken shoulder. After six weeks in the immobolizer the arm just kind of hangs there like ..... well - do your own visual lol. I get to physio thinking massage, heating pads, nice soothing whirlpool tub - what did I get - a broomstick. I hoisted that thing up, down, sideways, behind my back - it did change things though. Now my arm not only hangs there - it hurts like heck. I have to go three times next week t get tortured - and it costs me 50 bucks a pop to boot. Talk about adding insult to injury. And I still can't wear a bra so my knees are really getting chaffed :o) I suppose it will be worth it in the end then I can go horseback riding in Mazatlan - but I have promised my doctor that I will hold on really tight. That's my rant - so now I feel much better (could be the Bailey's Irish cream talking now lol.) ttfn Jennifer.

Awwww Jennifer, I'm so sorry that you're hurting. :cry: Maybe you just got the wrong therapist today. After I finished my radiation treatments , I had to go for physical therapy because my arm was not doing too much. Anyway, the first time I went I got a broomstick too- I didn't know there were so many things you could do with a broomstick- anyway, the next time I went I got this very sympathetic female therapist who just massaged my arm for the whole session. :grin: Maybe next time, you'll get that massage or whirlpool. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Doesn't it feel like they should be paying you or something? Just hang in there, Jennifer, and feel better fast. You've got a goal- that horse, or how about a pony, in Mazatlan. Meanwhile, maybe you shouldn't do any cooking , cleaning or laundry so that you'll heal faster. Hugs, Cherylalt text

I went for therapy for my frozen shoulder and always came out hurting after. And during the course of treatment I had 2 different therapists because one got married and was away a few weeks. There was some more movement, but to be honest I got more movement and much less pain at the gym. I only stretch as far as I can stand it, and when I sam done I go hit the sauna and hot tub and/or steam room. I belong to Bally's.

Speaking as a nurse (who has had a broken arm herself and nursed her father through a broken hip, broken humerus - upper arm - and broken clavicle) - some pain is to be expected during therapy. The joint affected has been immobilized (in essence frozen) for a period of time. It will take work (and diligent work at that) to regain full use of that joint/limb again. There is nothing wrong with massage and whirlpools, but you have to do the exercises as recommended to achieve optimal results. My Dad has come out of his broken humerus and clavicle with MORE range of motion and stonger muscles than he did before breaking them.

That being said - when I was 7 I broke my left lower arm in two places. I was in a full arm cast with my elbow bent at a 90 degree angle for 6 weeks. When that cast came off, the biggest and hardest thing for me to do was to bend my elbow again. I remember screaming and crying....it really hurt, but my Mom was a saint and put me in a warm tub and massaged my arm and gently and slowly (though with pain) made me unbend my elbow a bit at a time....it took a few days, but eventually I was able to move my elbow to full range of motion again. And to this day, I remember the pain of it! So I do sympathize, but I know the exercises MUST be done!

Off my soapbox now and I will have the next frozen thingee waiting for you after your next therapy session! :)

Jen...I can really sympathize with you. I have been to physical therapy myself many times for different injuries and problems. I know it's really tough, but try to hang in there! It will get better! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Sending hugs to you....

My son had PT after tendon-lengthening surgery near his ankle, and it was so heartbreaking for me as a mom at first as it obviously hurt. But it got better with time. At least you can enjoy the Bailey's LOL. Seriously, I hope that you are soon pain-free and have full range of motion back.

Thanks all - I actually ran through a couple of the drills this morning without too much difficulty. At least now I can have a nice long soak in the tub - I really missed that. And my dh has officially retired as my hairdresser, but I do see him casting longing glances at my curling iron every now and then. Thanks for the encouragement - I know it will get better. I have had a few broken things in the past - but old age seems to make it worse lol. TTFN Jennifer

With your great attitude and sense of humor you will do all right and recover completely. We know what you mean about the age thing--we are still trying to recover from our cruise. It used to be easier! :wink: :wink:

You have the heartfelt sympathy of all of us who have gone through some sort of physical therapy. Sometimes, the cure seems worse than the problem....alt text