• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Alaska

Rate this topic

lv2cruise

We have taken three cruises so far. One to the Bahamas, one to the eastern caribbean and one to the western. Leaving in 70 days for the western again. I have always wanted to take an Alaskan cruise. Anyone out there taken one? If so, would love to know the best time of year and what cruise lines you used. My husband won't fly, so it will require a road trip as well! Thanks in advance for any advice!

We cruised to Alaska last June, and it was a great time of the year to do the trip. We have previously cruised to the Bahamas, E. Caribbean, Canada, and Bermuda and this was by far our best cruise. I'm not sure where you live, but, being from the Philadelphia area, the scenery was totally alien to us. No matter where you looked, there were nothing but magnificent vistas. We took Princess and things couldn't be much better. We could not say that there was anything we didn't like about the cruise. Reading other reviews from other cruise lines, I think that whichever cruise line you take, you will not be disappointed. Later in the summer is more of the rainy season. We had clouds most days, but only a few spits of rain.

Any way you look at it, you probably can't go wrong, so enjoy. :grin:

My DH and I went to Alaska in August, 2003 for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was our first cruise and boy are we hooked. Planning on taking 12 more if we can live long enough and afford it. We took a full suite on Holland Americas's MS Statendam. Except for the 3 day cruise to the Bahamas coming up (a college graduation gift) for my daughter, we intend on staying with HAL. You will love Alaska. Best shopping I found was in Ketchikan.

The reason I say "can afford it" is once you've had a suite its hard to book anything less.

I've done Alaska 3 times and love it. I've cruised all over the caribbean but Alaska is still the best to me. There are never any bad views. Just the scenery alone without any ports and I'd still go.

We've done many things there dogsledding, helicopter to walk on the glacier, float plane to Misty Fjord, Lumberjack show, etc. I can always manage to find something to do in each port.

We've done RCI twice and Princess once. All of them were wonderful. Make sure you plan and save for all the things you'd want to do while there. Some of the things are expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

Have a great time on your western cruise but think about Alaska.

The Alaska season is May-Sep. The least expensive times, value price, are May and Sept. The shoulder season, price-wise is June and August. The peak, highest priced, time is July. The temps are from 38-50 in the value times, and 50-70 in the peak season. Daylight averages about 20 hours a day.

I went to Alaska last May on HAL. We chose HAL because we were told by experienced cruisers that it was "the" line to take to Alaska. We live in Vancouver so it was very easy. The weather when we went was sunny and warm. of all the tours available, I heard that the glacier / dog sled was the best. peopole were raving about it. Ketchikan definitely has the best shopping.