• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
elle

Jury Duty

Rate this topic

What luck is this... I got papers in the mail yesterday that I must appear at the court house for jury selection on Feb 7th. Ive always been one interested in serving and almost any other time it would not be an inconvience but....I wont even be in the country. I go in front of the court clerk Monday morning to give my "excuse" I hope they dont look at me and say "too bad" If so they can be waiting for me at the airport for me when I get home LOL....No one or nothing gets in the way of my cruising.....especially the "special cruises planned"

I know that in my state, we can request to serve on another day if the one selected for us doesn't work -- no questions asked. Perhaps if you ask the court clerk for a postponement, he or she will agree.

How awful, though, that they give you such little notice. Feb 7 isn't that far away.

This doesn't get you out of having to report for jury duty, but if you make it to the stage where the lawyers interview you, just say to the defense lawyer "I'm looking forward to this, because I can pick out a guilty person just like that". They'll probably excuse you LOL

Good luck on getting your jury time changed, elle!

I just got papers saying that I may be called anytime between September and August of '06. How can I plan anything...I wonder? We didn't plan on taking a cruise so soon after this last one, but if something comes up at a good price, I would like to take it. I'll have to check into this and see how it works here in MN.

Hope you get to take your cruise!!!

as soon as th weather allows me to I will be going to the clerk and asking for another time to be interviewed to serve. The papers were for the interview to see if I qualify to serve. But as I said I wont be here. Everyone here says to just call it an "extreme inconvienence and would cause hardship" I would not recover any $$ lost due to this and its well over $4000.00. Will keep you updated ASAP..thanks All

Well it wasnt so bad. The clerk took my information and asked me to sit and wait for the Judge. I was asked into his office and he says" Well a family vacation is an excuse but that I would be resuppennuedand would have to go thru selection another time. I said thank-you and was on my way. Now I can vacation without the thought of coming back and being hunted down lol.....

And judge have time for this? They can't have a clerk verify you are on vacation, and re-submit your name for future duty? No wonder criminals go free sometimes.