• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Shore Excursions - Western Caribbean

Rate this topic

KarenUK

Just wondered if anyone could guide me to the best Mayan ruins out of the following itinerary? We are visiting Costa Maya, Cozumel & Belize and would like to see the "best" ruins? We are sailing with my 5 years old son but may consider leaving him in Camp Carnival for the day we do the ruins? - any advice on that matter also?

The Miracle is offering Chacchoben or Kohunlich from Costa Maya and Altun Ha or Xunantunich from Belize (we ideally would like to go to Chankanaab in Cozumel to see the Dolphins ect so would prefer to do the Mayan ruins on one of the other days?)

If there is anyone who has been to any of these I would appreciate your advice :kiss:

Many thanks

KarenUK - 65 sleeps til I fly out of wintery Lancashire!!

Sorry I can't help you with your decision, we've only visited Tulum when we were on an RCI cruise. We really enjoyed Tulum and I'm sure that any one of the choices that you have will be great.

Where abouts in wintery Lancashire are you from. I'm originally from Manchester. Lived there 31 years. I still follow the football. Man U are having a tough year, for them, and yesterday City looked terrible against the Baggies.

No probs but thanks for replying!!

Were just south of Preston, and will admitting we're Liverpool fans spoil any chance of future replies?? :tongue:

Cant wait til we fly over to Florida in March - soooo looking forward to seeing the Miracle in the flesh - only been on the ms Westerdam so far!

My wife was born in Liverpool, she lived there almost a year. She's almost got over it. Her family did have some saving graces, they were all Everton fans.

Have you tried this website? http://boards.######/forumdisplay.php?f=215 You might have better luck getting an answer to your question.

One thing I don't miss about England is the weather.

Looks as if the censors won't let me post the address. E-mail me at jbond@csurfers.net and I'll send you the website.

Pretty bad for a website that started because other sites were censoring posts.

Hi jbond,

Just emailed the address given - thanks for that, so hopefully you should have received the message. If you dont get an email from me could you post a reply to let me know?

Oh and your right about the weather - my car is wearing his blanky tonight so it doesnt take as long to scrape off the ice in the morning!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks

Karen

Hi, Karen!

The only really nice ruin that you will be able to visit on your mexican stops is Tulum. However, it is a first-class site. It is the only Mayan city that was built on the sea. it sits on a high bluff, and the setting is great. While it is not as large, nor well-restored as Uxmal, and several others I have visited, it is very impressive if you've never been to a Mayan city.

Don't bother with San Gervasio, on Cozumel. It's a small site, and the Mexican Government has only recently started some meager restoration. The city was important in mayan history, but is not really worth the time, unless you're an avid history buff, interested in Pre-Columbian Indigionous Peoples.