• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Where to go?

Rate this topic

L320

Hello,

We are new to this group and new to doing a Cruise. We dont have anything booked yet, but are thinking about it. There are many different Cruises out there. Not sure where to go, or for how long. 7 days is about max for us. 5 days might be ok too. What would you recommend, considering these facts;

We have never been on a cruise before.

We have never been outside the USA

We want to do this the 1st week of July 05

For our 25th wedding anniversary.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

A little more info is needed before we can make any suggestions, I think. How old are you? Where are you located? Are you within driving distance of a cruise port, such as New Orleans, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, New York or LA? Do you want to go to the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada/New England?

Thanks for the reply Dan. We are both 45. We live in Phoenix Arizona, so we will probably fly to our departure point. We have considered Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska. We are new to traveling (been working for to long :undecided: ). So we are looking for destination recommendations.

Thanks,

Dale

I strongly recommend Alaska. It uses our money our laws and our language after all it is the US. But there is history of its Russian background too. Much too see, much to do for of all levels of ability. Its got glaciers, rain forests and much more. I have been once and intend to make at least 2 more trips back inclucing a cruise/tour.

Dale,

alt text

alt textalt text

We would have to second the recommendation for Alaska. Also, from where you live a Mexican Riviera cruise from the left coast would be good. If you would rather take a Caribbean cruise, Galveston, TX is a very good port to cruise from. We have done all three.

The timing for your 25th anniversary, first week of July, would make Alaska the most attractive--in our opinion. There are generally less kids on Alaskan cruises. :wink: :wink:

Yes, Alaska is something we want to try someday too. And that time of year, you will have a myriad of choices, with all the lines having a couple or more ships there. It's been generally accepted that Princess and Holland America are the Alaska leaders, They usually have the most ships (and choice in departure ports), as well as access to the best shore facilities.

Princess has a few different itineraries. They have 7 day round trip sailing out of Seattle, 7 day one way to or from Alaska from Vancouver, as well as 10 day sailings out of San Francisco. Personally, just because of where I am, and the travel hassles, I would take the round-trip out of Seattle. But, where you are, and the easy connections to Alaska, you could very easily take one of the one way cruises that let you see more of the glaciers. Somebody else who has done Alaska can say better, but I think there's a couple hour bus trip from the Anchorage airport to the ship.

If I was doing this, and again, this is just me, but I hate travel hassles, and the day you leave the ship is a sad day anyway. I'd do the southbound route, where you fly to Alaska, get on the ship and come down to Vancouver, then fly home. Of course, since I live in Canada, and have a direct flight to my city from Vancouver, this would be easy. Many Americans choose to take a bus to Seattle airport and fly from there, so this is a couple hour hassle, plus dealing with crossing the border.

I just price shopped on Alaska Airlines, and found it was about $70/person more to fly from Vancouver to Phoenix than Seattle to Phoenix. I'd pay that before sitting on a bus for a few hours (even if the bus was free LOL), plus you clear US customs at Vancouver airport.

I guess it depends on what you really expect out of your cruise. Do you want to relax and take in the sights, or have a lively party time?

We've sailed Alaska, the Caribbean and the Mexican Riviera.

First, I would not recommend the Mexican Riviera in July. As much as I love it, October through April is the time to go.

For a quiet, relaxing cruise, Alaska would be really good. The pace is slow and life onboard is "quiet".

If you want to party, then it's got to be the Caribbean. My favourite is the Southern cruise, out of San Juan, but any cruise to the Caribbean is a fun time.