• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Name This Caribbean Island Photo Game

Rate this topic

Jason

This magnificent photo is courtesy of JohnG. For our new members, there's one simple objective for this game:

Be the first to guess the correct island or place this photo was taken.

So, where was this photo taken....

alt text

Good luck everyone! :grin:

...or, could it, possibly, be....

alt text

THE CONEY ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE ?????

The Coney Island Lighthouse is located at Norton Point, off the western tip of Brooklyn. Coney Island Light is a white skeletal tower that stands 75 feet and the red flashing light can be seen for 14 miles, 24 hours a day. One of the most interesting facts about this light is that it still has a lightkeeper. Frank Schubert has been "keeping a good light" since 1960 and is the last civilian lightkeeper for the US Lighthouse Service. Even though he is "officially" retired as keeper, Frank remains as the guardian of the light in the keeper's home next door.

Hey, BoatrideLover, we have something else in common. I, also, love lighthouses! When I was younger, "I lived in a community, at the tip of Coney Island, called Sea Gate, which jutted out into Gravesend Bay and Upper New York Harbor. My room was on the upper floor of a house that was directly across the street from the Norton’s Point Lighthouse; the beacon that guides ships in and out of New York Harbor, to this day. For years, I didn’t know that it was not everyone’s bedroom that glowed red…then, white…then, red…then…well, you get the idea.

What I did know was that I never tired of sitting at my window and watching the classic liners come into, and, then, leave the harbor. And, what an amazing list of ships it was; the United States and America; the Queen(s) Elizabeth and Mary; Cristoforo Colombo; Isle de France, and later the France; the Independence and Constitution; and, oh, so many more. "

(from A Sea of Memories, © 2004-Jeffrey R. Stern; All Rights reserved)

alt text

The house with the two windows behind the flagpole was my old home, and the windows were my berdooom...

DaCruzNut - What a great view you had from your bedroom!!!

Yep, I LOVE lighthouses, in fact, I have a 4' red and white lighthouse in my front yard that I light all night long; it's really beautiful. I also collect lighthouse figurines and have about 50 of them. I'm not far from Daytona Beach, so we often ride up to Ponce Inlet so I can see the Ponce Inlet lighthouse! Lighthouses are really quite beautiful, aren't they!?

Add me to the list of lighthouse lovers. We take lighthouse photos every chance we get. We also have two 3-foot tall lighthouses on the edge of our pond and are in the process of building some village houses as well. They actually light up and reflect off the water. I also have a couple of lighthouse Christmas ornaments from our travels. I have always had a fascination for the sea - maybe I was a sailor in a past life and I'm still searching for the light ;o) ttfn Jennifer