• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Princess Cruise in Feb 05

Rate this topic

1WayOut

Hi all,

I'm not a regular cruiser. In fact my last cruise was 20 years ago.

At the end of Fec. 05, my wife and I will be heading out from LA on the Diamond Princess to the Mexican Riviera with stops at Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.

My wife and I are 46 and 49. We are looking to get a week in the sun and relax.

Can anyone tell us about excursions at any of these 3 ports that might be worthwhile to consider?

What about a tuxedo? My wife wants to do the formal dining thing and is asking me to rent a tux. Should I rent it on the ship or before we leave and take it with me?

If anyone has been on the cruise and can tell me anything I would appreciate it. I'm a real novice when it comes to cruises.

Hello fellow Hoosiers and

alt textalt textalt text

Our one and only Mexican Riviera cruise was that exact itinerary. However, we can't help you much as we were with a group and about all we did was shop and bar hop at those ports. We did go to a beach in Cabo for a couple hours. It turned out to be the only one that allows vendors.

We'll be on this cruise one week before you. It will be our first time to the Mexican Riviera. On the advice of several cruise buddies, we have opted to do different types of tours in each location: boat trip to Los Arcos and the beach in Cabo San Lucas, coastal drive in PV, and trip to the Sierra Madres from Mazatlan.

I have also heard great things about the whale watching in Cabo and horseback riding in PV. I've also heard that Las Caletas is a nice and relaxing excursion with beautiful scenery.

Hope that helps somewhat. Wish I could provide more information.

Edited to add:

Did this cruise 3 years ago on the Sea Princess and doing it again in April on the Diamond Princess. Last time I did the whale watching in Cabo - had a great time. In PV, my friends and I rented a cab for 4 hours and got a private tour all over the area including where the film Night of the Iguana was filmed. In Mazatlan I stayed on the ship, but this time I am doing the Sierra Madre tour - two of my friends did it and really enjoyed it.

Rent the tux through the ship - you can do it ahead of time by calling Princess and giving them your measurements.

The Aft Terrace pool is adult only and overlooks the wake - I love that pool!

Did this cruise aboard the Legend of the Seas last September and will be sailing on the Diamond Princess this Saturday. My wife, who keeps track of these things tells me that this will be our 14th cruise to these ports.

In Cabo do the glass bottom boat thing. Just get off the ship and you will find lots of vendors on the dock, no need to pay shipboard prices.

In Matzalan, I think I would head for one of the large hotels and hang out there. The Golden Zone is the shopping area and IMHO not to exciting. A cab to Old Town might be fun. I plan to do that next week just to shoot some new digital video. All cab fares are posted at the pier, but be sure to verify with the driver before getting into the car!

In Puerto Vallarta, probably a general area tour would be your best bet, You can do it through the ship or just pick up a cab as you exit the pier and negotiate a tour package price. We usually grab a van to the downtown area and stroll along the beach area, very nice. One side of the main drag is shopping and the other is a very lovely pedestrin walkway along the beach.

Hope this helps a little.

:wink:

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but have been on 9 cruises, one of which was the Mexican itinerary you're going on.

I just wanted to say that you won't really need a tux on this itinerary. Cruises going out of the west coast are much more informal than east coast or elsewhere. You would be fine with a nice suit, and your wife can do a dress or a gown or even evening pants and a nice blouse or sweater. There are, of course, people who do get very dressed up for formal night, but there are more who don't.

The only cruise we've ever been on where my hubby had a tux was the Panama Canal cruise...and he actually had packed his suit, but our luggage was lost for a few days. The cruise line gave him a tux to use for the entire trip in that case. But, truthfully, you really just need a suit.

I know you'll have a wonderul time...enjoy your cruise!

Sue