• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

6AM flight on Cruise Day?!?!?

Rate this topic

krisp

I just got my flight info. We're flying from Phila to Miami on the Saturday the cruise ships out. Our flight leaves at 6am! We get into Miami before 9am. Boarding doesn't even start until 1pm.

I am so furious. :angry: I swear, cruise lines charge you an arm and a leg to book air with them, and THEN they purposely give you horribly undesirable flight times hoping you'll pay the extra $50/pp to change the flight. Am I nuts, or is this a big conspiracy!?

We don't want to book air separately because in early March the weather is unpredictable enough that god forbid there is a delay, we want to know the cruiseline is responsible for backing us up.

My TA said the cruise transport (to Fort Lauderdale) may not even be available until a few hours after we arrive in Miami. So we get to sit around the airport for a few hours to start our trip off.

I plan to call the cruise line and complain... see if I can get them to schedule a later flight for free...

Anyone have similar frustrations? Am I over reacting?

At the very least, I feel a little better having vented my frustration! :rolleyes:

Kris

I'd stay with the early flight. In case of a weather-related or other delay, I'd be more comfortable with the longer cushion, even though it does mean getting to the airport before the sun comes up.

While I've heard many people say that the cruise line will hold the ship for you, that is actually not the case. Their responsibility is to get you to the ship... which could be at its next port of call.

I've spent a lot of time in airports, and I find them to be fascinating places. After claiming your luggage, have a nice breakfast in one of the restaurants to pass the time until the first shuttle leaves for the pier. I'd rather wait at the airport than at the pier, anyway. Much more interesting.

Hi krisp,

I don't have much experience with the cruise line booking my flights. I can't afford it. However I booked a flight out of New York at 6:40 AM and arrived at Ft. Lauderdale baggage area a little after 10:00 PM. The shulttle actually started taking folks to the pier at approximately 11:15. We arrived at the pier in Miami at about 12:00. Embarkation went smoothly and we were on board at about 12:20. We went to the Lido Deck, washed our hands and had lunch because the staterooms were not ready until 1:00 PM.

You can board before 1:00 PM on Carnival Cruise Lines. You just can't get to your stateroom before 1:00 PM. There are many comfortable areas on the ship while you are waiting. If you don't have too much carry on luggage, you can explore the ship. You can check out the location of your stateroom and its proximity to the dining rooom or other public areas you are interested in.

I booked the early flight because I wanted to make sure a delay would not make me miss the ship.

Now on the other hand, I booked a 3:30 PM Flight back to New York. I paid an extra $25 to change to an earlier flight because the shuttle got us to the airport for the return flight at approximately 11:00 AM.

I booked the later flight in case the ship had engine trouble.

You do have an advantage over me by booking your flight with the cruise line in that if your plane is late, the ship may wait for you or arrange to have you sent to the next port of call.

I do understand your frustration though.

What airline are you flying, and have you looked to see if there other slightly later flights the day you are going? Not that I'd want to go later, but this may be the reason why you leave at 6am. It might also be that they don't have enough seats on a 7 or 8am flight, and you are the lucky one to get 6am. Personally, I prefer to go the day ahead, spend the night there, and sleep in. Plsu that gives you that extra little flexibility in case the plane is late, or some luggae decides to go for a sight seeing tour of North America.

Hi Kris...

I usually don't go to bed until 4 AM, but I'd still rather have the 6AM flight if I were coming in on the day of embarkation. Too many things can go wrong and make you miss the ship. It's much better to be there and have to wait a little than miss the ship. We usually fly in a day early these days. With the Minnesota winters, we never know what could happen to delay flights. Even though I hate early morning flights, I wouldn't change it in your case if it were me.

I did a quick check on travelocity and found that on March 12, there are only 2 direct flights from Philly to Miami in the morning. This one at 6 on American, and one at 7 on United. United also has one at 625 that changes planes in Tampa, and arrives in Miami at 1130. Delta has flights at 540 and 640 that change in Atlanta, that arrive in Miami at 1030 and 1210. Southwest doesn't fly into Miami from Philly. Of course, there's this wonderful itinerary on USAirways. Leave Philly at 1040am, change planes in Raleigh NC, change planes again in Charlotte, and arrive in Miami 11 hours later. Of course, you'll miss the ship by 5 hours, but at least you can sleep in in the morning LOL

Kris, I don't think you were overreacting. After all, that's a very early flight. Venting is perfectly alright -- and I'm glad that you got some helpful responses.

Enjoy your cruise! Remember to let them pamper you and baby-to-be! :smiley: