• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

tip before during or after??

Rate this topic

elle

Here is something Ive read alot about. We had never heard or thought of tipping any time other then what they suggest. Anyone tip 1/2 the first night of the cruise and then depending on service the other 1/2 or more if deserved?? Also, what about the counselors in the kids adventure camp on RCI. So many different opinions on tipping them or not. Some say no that they would consider it offensive. Others say they are worthy if they are taking care of your children so Im feeling this way about it.....Thanks!!!

p.s. Ive got the " 3 days before vacation I cant sleep thing going on"

I found that if I give our room steward a pre-cruise tip, we get pretty good service. Of course, we never really know if this is just because he is good, or because of the tip. :wink:

Howard

We have never pre-tipped, but we have given a little something as a prompt "thank you" for service that is above and beyond the call of duty. For example, there was one time when our son was younger that he accidentally spilled a cup of juice in his bed. This happened in the morning, and we mentioned it to our cabin steward as we left for breakfast. When we saw him later in the day (after fresh sheets were placed on the bed and there was no trace of juice), we gave him an envelope with a nice tip. This was in addition to what we gave him at the end of the cruise.

We tip the kids club counselors, as well, but usually on the last evening of the cruise.

We also have never pre-tipped. We have always had at the least very good room stewards and waiters. Now with the auto tipping becoming predominate we question whether this service we have become accustomed to will remain high. So far, so good, based on two cruises taken with auto-tipping. :smiley: :smiley:

I've never bought the theory of pre-tipping. If the steward's service sucks, its going to suck whether you tip in advance or not, but at least the guy knows he got something out of you. These people usually don't last long, since it will come out, when they have to account for the tips they have to share with other crew members, why they don't have much. Now with auto-tipping, it's more important than ever for passengers to fill out those surveys.

Hello,

Please don't pretip......doesn't work out.........too many examples but here are 2.....

I saw our cabin steward the 2nd to last afternoon...decided to tip him....guess what ???? Never saw him again...except by chance later the next morning...when he saw me...white as a ghost........oh i am so sorry.....yea right buddy....

I have done this on several occasions on my wifes birthday at local watering holes......i explain to the server it's my wifes birthday and just take care of her and i tip her.....and explain i will again tip at the end of the evening what ever is appropiate for our bill. Service goes downhill from there......never has worked for me... :huh:

Tipping is a personnal thing which is why I do not care for the "automatic" tipping. My wife and I have always enjoyed putting the envelopes together with a thank you card and handing it to the person with a warm handshake and sincere "Thank you" at the end of the cruise.

I even give $5 to the Bell Ringer who hands out the little mints as we leave the dining room. Of course he has to stand there and have his picture taken with me to earn it.

We also provide an "up front" tip room steward and waiters and let them know we appreciate what they will be doing for us during the cruise. This is in addition to the gratuity given at the end of the cruise.

While the vast majority of the ships staff provide excellent service my wife and I can sometimes expect "a little more". The additional tip eases my mind.

The $10 pp a day represents less than 5% of the cruise so an extra $30-$40 for the week is small in the bigger scheme of things. I put more than that into the slot machines everyday. LOL