• Welcome Guest, Sign Up to Remove This Message!

As a member you'll be able to:

• Create a profile
    • Join the discussions
    • Create Blogs and Groups
    • Upload your cruise photos
    • Connect with other cruisers
    • Lots more

Join Today - It's FREE!

Sign in to follow this  
KeithnRita

This day in history

Rate this topic

Two years ago today we were in a hotel room in Orlando watching TV and waiting for the arrival of space shuttle Columbia, an arrival that never happened. We were hoping to possibly see it live from our view on one of the top floors. Of course everybody knows it disintegrated before reaching Florida. We took our shuttle bus on to Port Canaveral and boarded the Zaandam for our seven day cruise in a very somber mood. :cry: :cry:

I'll never forget that, either. It was my Dad's birthday and I was getting ready to call him, when my husband yelled for me to come quickly to the TV. We spent the weekend glued to the news (after calling Dad, of course). A couple of days later, I had a business trip to the Cape Canaveral area, where the news coverage was, not surprisingly, much greater.

I was visiting some cruising buddies in Maryland and we had just been to Antietam and we were in Sheperdstown, West Virginia sitting in a small cafe watching it all on CNN. I will never forget calling another cruise buddy who lives in Texas and talking to him and asking if they had seen anything.............