• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
TheSkipper

Computer Died

Rate this topic

Returned from our Diamond Princess cruise and was typing my review when my computer simply rebooted itself. Did this about three times and then locked on the XP intro page.

Took it to Best Buy and found that the hard drive was totally unreadable all 120 gigs of it. DVD burner was also not working, so my three year old Sony VAIO is not a boat anchor!

I know our house sitter was using it while we were gone, so who knows what happened? I did back it up to CD's a few months ago, so it is not a total loss.

Ordered a Dell 8400 with a 250 GB hard drive and 1 GB of RAM and all the other bells and whistles I could think off yesterday. It is to ship next Thursday.

In the meantime I'm using my laptop as my primary computer and I hate this tiny keyboard! But, at least it keeps me in communications with the rest of the world.

Sorry about the old, and congrats on the new, but the last thing I would do is take a Best Buy techie's word as final LOL.

Sorry to hear about your computer, Skipper! Glad that you have a new one ordered. I would hate to miss that Diamond Princess review!

Sorry about the computer. It happened to me just before I went on a cruise last year. It's never a good feeling to have a dead computer staring yo in the face. :sad:

Howard

AS one who delivers Dell's, they do over-estimate the time by quite a bit. It makes them look better. Just be home when they show up, since Dell's instructions are that they don't get delivered to alternate addresses (such as the friendly neighbour, or redirected to a workplace).