• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Need assisted living? Take a cruise!

Rate this topic

chillhouse

Just found this short piece in "Catholic Digest":

The ship may have come in for seniors looking for a creative alternative to assisted living. According to the Journal of the American Geriactrics Society, living for 20 years on a cruise ship would cost only about $2000.00 more than living in an assisted living facility. And considering all the perks cruise ships offer - exotic destinations, great food, round-the-clock access to physicians, and housekeeping and laundry, life on the high seas may well be worth the extra money. At least one senior, The Boston Globe reports, has already taken the step. After Beatrice Muller, a widow, turned 80 in 2000, she packed her bags for a permanent voyage aboard the Queen Elizabeth 2.

Sounds like a plan to me!!

Which begs the question. I wonder what kind of long term deal the cruise lines would make on some sort of lease on a cabin? Those assisted living facilities run into the 3 or 4 thousand a month range, or more, so it could be feasible to go live on a ship. At least if and until you need more attention than the ship can provide.

To take this a step further, look how much corporations spend a year on luxury suites at arenas and stadiums. They average 3-5 thousand a week. How about a company using a cabin on a cruise ship as a corportate entertainment perk?

There was a discussion at my table at breakfast one more recently on the Elation. One woman there was doing back to back cruises and the topic came up. They even went so far as to say that burial expenses would be eliminated! Just throw them overboard! I wouldn't mind spending my children's inheritance cruising my life away. lol

Sewut